Want to change something on this page or create your own? Register today, it's fast and free!
2004 La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza Reserva Half Bottle
"Handsome magnums! Looks a little cloudy. Mid ruby. Absolutely classic mature rioja nose with a mixture of stewed strawberries and animal mulch (not quite manure!!). Manages to be both sweet and refreshing - no excess of alcohol. Oak in retreat. A very clever purchase for holiday entertaining - though some guests may be put off by the individuality of this wine. Very gentle finish. Drink from 2013 to 2023. - JR" (11/13) - 17.5 out of 20 Points, Jancis Robinson's Purple Pages. Wine: "80% of the "coupage" is Tempranillo and the remaining 20% Garnacha. The 30-year old Vina Ardanza estate, where most of the Tempranillo comes from, is in Fuenmayor, in the Rioja Alta district. The rest is from a selection of our vines, also in Rioja Alta. The Garnacha is from Ausejo and Tudelilla, in Rioja Baja." "Selective harvest in crates and refrigerated transport. After both fermentations, the wine was barrelled in April 2005. The Tempranillo wine spent 36 months in American oak barrels with an average age of 4 years, and the Garnacha wine was aged for only 30 months in 2 to 3 years old American oak barrels so the freshness and authenticity of this grape variety could be maintained. The wines were manually racked six times and bottled in December 2008." - Importer
Rioja, La Rioja, Spain
94 Pts Wine Spectator
Tempranillo / Tinto Fino / Tinta Roriz, Grenache / Garnacha