2017 (MMXVII) will be a common yearstarting on Sunday (dominical letter A) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2017th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the seventeenth year of the 3rd millennium, the seventeenth year of the 21st century, and the eighth year of the 2010s decade.
2017 has been designated as:
- International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development by the United Nations.
Predicted and scheduled events
- August 21 – A total solar eclipse will take place. This will be the first total solar eclipse of the twenty-first century for the United States, and the first visible in the continental U.S. after February 26, 1979. Totality will occur along a path curving from Oregon to South Carolina, and will last at most for 2 minutes and 40.2 seconds. The location and time of "greatest eclipse" will be on the western edge of Christian County, Kentucky, at 36.9715 degrees north and 87.6559 degrees west, occurring at 18:25 UTC.
- September 15 – The spacecraft Cassini-Huygens, after having studied Saturn for 13 years, will be disposed of by plunging into Saturn's atmosphere.
- October 26 – The collection of records established by the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992 must be completely disclosed to the public.
- December – NASA plans to launch the exoplanet-seeking TESS mission.
- December – The ESA's CHEOPS exoplanet-hunting satellite will be launched.
- The European Extreme Light Infrastructure project intends to complete its nuclear physics research hub, housing the world's most powerful laser in Romania in 2017.
- The United States plans to deploy additional missile interceptors on its Pacific coast by 2017 to defend against North Korean ballistic missiles.
- International scientists intend to complete the world's first fully synthetic yeast, intended for use in the production of medicines and biofuels, by 2017.