- A Rebellion of the Kutama Berbers against the Fatimid Caliphate occurs. The Kutama tribesmen have previously been the main supporters of the new Shi'ite regime.
- July 11 – Charles the Simple, King of France, and Rollo, leader of the Vikings, sign the Treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte allowing the Vikings to settle in Neustria in exchange for agreeing to defend Charles from his northern enemies.
- September – Following the death of Louis the Child, last Carolingian ruler of the East Franks, Charles the Simple of France, is elected King of Lotharingia.
- The Fatimids begin the conquest of Sicily over their Aghlabid archrivals.
- Minamoto no Shitagō, Japanese poet
- April 4 – Liu Yin, Tang Dynasty leader
- April 14 – Pope Sergius III, pope of the Roman Catholic Church
- September – Louis the Child, last Carolingian ruler of the East Franks
- Æthelred, Ealdorman of Mercia, husband of Æthelflæd
- Tecpancaltzin Iztaccaltzin, tlatoani of the Toltec Empire
- Wifred II, Count of Barcelona