The current-day Globe-News is a combination of several newspapers published in Amarillo. One began on November 4, 1909, as a prohibition publication by the Baptistdeacon Dr. Joseph Elbert Nunn (1851 – 1938). In 1916, Nunn turned the Amarillo Daily News into a general newspaper.
Nunn also owned an electric company, and heavily invested in the telephone company. He served on the boards of the Wayland Baptist College (now Wayland Baptist University) in Plainview, Texas, then at Texas Technological College (now Texas Tech University).
He went on to Lubbock, Texas, with the Goodnight Baptist College in the now ghost town of Goodnight in Armstrong County. The college and town were named for the legendary Texas PanhandlerancherCharles Goodnight.
In 1926, Eugene A. Howe and Wilbur Clayton Hawk bought the Amarillo Daily News and merged it with their Globe newspaper to form the Amarillo Globe-News Publishing Company.
The Amarillo Times started on December 15, 1937, as an afternoon tabloid newspaper. On December 2, 1951, the Globe-News and Times were merged into one company with the majority of the stock owned by the Times'Roy Whittenburg family, being published by Samuel Benjamin Whittenburg (1914 – 1992). The Daily News continued as the morning newspaper, while the Globe-News and Times were merged into the afternoon Globe-Times.
The Amarillo Globe-Times won the 1961 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service for exposing government corruption in Potter and Randall counties. The organization noted the paper "expos[ed] a breakdown in local law enforcement with resultant punitive action that swept lax officials from their posts and brought about the election of a reform slate."
On September 1, 1972, Morris Communications bought the Globe-News from the Whittenburg family.
In 2001, the Daily News and Globe-Times merged into one morning edition, the Globe-News.