Blazing Samurai is an upcoming American animatedactioncomedy film directed by Chris Bailey & Mark Koetsier and written by Ed Stone & Nate Hopper. The film stars Michael Cera, Samuel L. Jackson, Michelle Yeoh, Ricky Gervais, Mel Brooks, and George Takei. The film will be released on August 4, 2017 by Open Road Films.
The story revolves around a scrappy young dog Hank (Michael Cera) who dreams of becoming a samurai and fights to save the town called "Kakamucho" from becoming a litter box of a nefarious feline warlord Ika Chu who unveils his grand plan to get rid of the inhabitants.
- Michael Cera as Hank, a dog who dreams of becoming a true samurai and to save the town, Kakamucho.
- Samuel L. Jackson as Jimbo, a cat who once was a great warrior.
- Michelle Yeoh as Yuki, Emiko's over-protective mom.
- Ricky Gervais as Ika Chu, a sneaky bad cat who has a grand plan to get rid of the town's inhabitants.
- Mel Brooks as Shogun, the misguided but good leader.
- George Takei as Ohga, the enforcer of the villain.
- Aasif Mandvi as Ichiro, a lizard.
- Djimon Hounsou as Sumo, a gentle giant.
- Sandra Tsing Loh as Little Mama
- Heavenly Joy Jerkins as Emiko, the feisty kitten who is a natural warrior.
- Mel B as The Giraffe (cameo)
On February 5, 2015, Open Road Films acquired the US rights to the Mass Animation's animated film Blazing Samurai scheduling it for an April 14, 2017 release.Chris Bailey & Mark Koetsier were hired to direct the film based on the script by Ed Stone & Nate Hopper. The film would be produced by Rob Minkoff through Cinemation, Yair Landau and Susan Purcell through Mass Animation. The film was revealed to be inspired by Mel Brooks' classic film Blazing Saddles. Mass Animation developed the script, Arc Productions would serve as the animation house for the film, and GFM would handle the international sales. Sony Pictures Releasing acquired rights to some international countries.