The station was originally put on the air from Butcher Hill in Vacaville, by Cecil Lynch and builder Don Reeves. The first station call-sign was reported to have been KSFV or a similar combination of suffix lettering with S=Suisun, F=Fairfield and V=Vacaville. A reorganization and probable change of ownership eventually landed the station with the long time and current KUIC callsign. The Butcher Hill transmitter was one of the first Sparta 602 packages produced. It remained in fairly reliable operation until the transmitter site was relocated to Mt. Vaca. The first early KSFV studio was located in a mobile home, after the reorganization the station moved to the second story, south corner of the Triangle Building, later the California Hawaii Building, then to a two-story building on East Main (Vacaville) followed by a relocation to a larger building near the corner of Davis and Mason Street.
Early Triangle Building music formats were often quite varied, often selected by the current disc- jockey and for many decades, the station certainly maintained a very local down-home flavor.
Early station Chief Engineers include Tim Dineen, Steve Moore and long-time employee Alan McCarthy. In the mid 1990s the transmitter site was relocated to Mt. Vaca where it remains to this day. For a brief period of time (circa 1994/95), AM Station KNBA 1190 Vallejo was purchased and operated as a sister station, but not normally with the same programming. KNBA also expanded with an expanded band 1640 AM signal, both stations eventually being spun off (sold), the AM 1640 operation now operates using the reassigned popular KDIA call-sign.