Malarkey was born in Beirut, Lebanon to an Irish American father and a British mother of Arab/Italian origin. The family established in Yellow Springs, Ohio. Michael is the oldest of three brothers (Daniel, Kevin). In 2006, Malarkey travelled to London, England to study at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.
Malarkey had his beginnings on the London stage appearing in various theatre productions like Spring Storm, Beyond the Horizon and adaptations of The Great Gatsby in the role of Jay Gatsby and in the musical Million Dollar Quartet in the role of singer Elvis Presley.
Malarkey also appeared in short films Good Morning Rachel (2009) and Ghost in the Machine (2012) and in the TV feature film Impirioso before landing the role of Lorenzo (Enzo) in season 5 of the television series The Vampire Diaries as a recurring character. After great popularity with the viewing public, Malarkey's role was upgraded to a series regular in season 6.
|2009||Good Morning Rachel||Peter||Short film|
|2012||Ghost in the Machine||Cowboy||Short film|
|2013||The Selection||Prince Maxon||Unsuccessful The CW Pilot|
|2011||Curiosity||Milton Long||Episode: "What Sank Titanic?"|
|2012||Dark Matters: Twisted But True||2 episodes: "Unabomber, Salvation by Starvation, Get the Lead Out" and "Agent Orange, Ben Franklin: Freud Slayer, Price of Beauty"|
|2013–present||The Vampire Diaries||Lorenzo "Enzo" St. John||Recurring role (season 5), Series regular (season 6 & season 7)|
- 2009: Inches Apart as Lee (Theatre 503, London - Winner of Theatre 503/Old Vic New Voices Award)
- 2010: Spring Storm as Arthur (The National Theatre, London)
- 2010: Beyond the Horizon as Robert (The National Theatre, London)
- 2011: Million Dollar Quartet (musical) as Elvis Presley (Original London Company - Noël Coward Theatre, West End)
- 2012: The Intervention as Jed (Assembly Rooms, Edinburgh)
- 2012: The Great Gatsby as Jay Gatsby (Wilton's Music Hall, London)
- "Feed The Flames"
- "The Bells Still Ring" (own composition / vocals)