Michael Anthony "Mike" Vitar (born December 21, 1978), is an American actor who appeared as Benjamin Franklin "Benny the Jet" Rodriguez in The Sandlot and as Luis Mendoza in D2: The Mighty Ducks and D3: The Mighty Ducks. He started acting at the age of 12 when a casting manager spotted him in line for a ride at a school carnival. He retired from acting after 1997, and since 2002, he has been a firefighter for the Los Angeles Fire Department. He currently resides in Los Angeles with his wife Kym, whom he married in 2006, along with their two sons and daughter.
He has two older siblings. His older brother, Pablo, played the older version of his character, Benny, in The Sandlot, after which he joined the Los Angeles Police Department in 1996. Pablo succumbed to colon cancer on January 29, 2008. He also has an older sister named Elizabeth.
In 1996, he worked for Gerber Ambulance in Torrance as a stepping stone into the EMS field in order to move into his current career.
He is of Cuban descent.
Vitar, and two other firemen, were involved in an physical altercation with another man (who was severely injured) on Halloween in 2015. He was booked on Dec. 3 for the incident, and was later released on $30,000 bail. The 37-year-old Vitar now faces up to four years in prison for his role in the scuffle.
- Chicago Hope (1 episode, 1997) - Carlos Lunes
- D3: The Mighty Ducks (1996) - Luis Mendoza
- NYPD Blue (1996) - Teenager
- D2: The Mighty Ducks (1994) - Luis Mendoza
- The Sandlot (1993) - Benjamin Franklin "Benny the Jet" Rodriguez
- Sunset Grill (1993) - Luis
- Brooklyn Bridge (1 episode, 1991) - Anthony Gambuzza
- Diplomatic Immunity (1991/I) - Arturo