During the original Survivor season, Survivor: Borneo, Hawk made it far in the game by using her secret alliance with Richard Hatch, Kelly Wiglesworth, and Rudy Boesch during a time when other cast members did not yet use alliances and several even considered allied voting to be "cheating". As the fourth-place finisher, she launched into her notable "snakes and rats" speech at the final Tribal Council that drew comparisons between the top two castaways, Richard and Kelly. In her speech, she said that the island they had been inhabiting was "full of only two things: snakes and rats" with Richard representing the overtly malicious snake and Kelly the underhanded rat. Hawk then urged the other jurors to obey the laws of nature by letting the snake eat the rat. She also told Kelly that if she ever saw her in life again, she would not give her a sip of water if she were dying of thirst and that she would not stop the vultures from attacking her. This resulted in angering fellow jurors Colleen Haskell and Gervase Peterson, who ultimately voted for Kelly. Nevertheless, Hatch still won 4-3.
In 2004, Hawk returned to Survivor for the Survivor: All-Stars season. Hawk's tribe, "Chapera" found early success. Her position in the game appeared stable until an incident prompted her to leave. During an immunity challenge, a naked Richard Hatch rubbed up against her, and Hawk became increasingly distraught over the incident the next day. At the next reward challenge, Survivor host Jeff Probst made a passing reference to the incident, which prompted Hawk to respond with a very angry speech, accusing Probst of making light of something that Hawk viewed as harassment. Despite the fact that Hatch had been eliminated on the prior episode (due to other reasons), Hawk claimed that "her mind left the game" and decided to remove herself from the competition.
Life after Survivor
On May 22, 2007, the infotainment television show Access Hollywood broadcast a "Where Are They Now?" segment on Hawk. According to the report, she and her husband now live on a 60-acre (240,000 m2) ranch near Clever, Missouri.
- Hawk appeared on Survivor: Borneo in 2000 and placed 4th.
- Hawk appeared in the Survivor edition of The Weakest Link competing against Ramona, Gretchen, Joel, Sean and Richard. She was the second person eliminated from the game.
- Hawk appeared with Hatch in the reality show edition of the short-lived game show Dog Eat Dog. She won $25,000 as the episode's "top dog".
- Hawk appeared with Hatch and other Survivor alumni on Family Feud.
- Hawk was twice a guest on The Rosie O'Donnell Show.
- Hawk guest co-hosted Live with Regis in 2000 during the period following Kathie Lee Gifford's departure, and interviewed future president George W. Bush. Well-received for her ability to banter with co-host Regis Philbin, she never considered taking the job full-time (the job eventually went to Kelly Ripa, who remains in the role to this day).
- In 2001 Hawk was a guest on an episode of the second season of Big Brother.
- Hawk guest hosted Talk Soup.
- Hawk was a contestant on Battle of the Network Reality Stars.
- Hawk appeared on Hollywood Squares with fellow Survivor alumni in 2000.
- Hawk was a guest on Politically Incorrect with Survivor opponent Kelly.
- Hawk appeared on Survivor: All Stars in 2004 and placed 13th after quitting the show.
- Hawk appeared on the 2000 NBC sitcom DAG.