The Daily Iowan is an independent, 19,500-circulation daily student newspaper serving Iowa City and the University of Iowa community. It has consistently won a number of collegiate journalism awards, including four National Pacemaker Awards in 2000, 2001, 2006, and 2013. The Daily Iowan is generally regarded as one of the finest student newspapers in the country.
The paper is distributed Monday through Friday when classes are in session. It is available free of charge on campus and is available for home delivery by subscription. The publication is entirely student-run and independent from the University of Iowa.
The Daily Iowan is available on three platforms, those of which include print, online, and TV. As of June 2013, The Daily Iowan has been regarded as the largest college newspaper in the country.
George Gallup, creator of the Gallup poll, served as editor of The Daily Iowan in the early 1920s. The newspaper's publisher is William Casey, who has served in the post since 1976. He is credited with starting the newspaper's scholarship program for talented future journalists, who have since worked at news agencies such as The Associated Press, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The St. Petersburg Times, The Dallas Morning News, The Star Tribune, The Des Moines Register, ESPN, USA Today,SPIN Magazine and The Times-Picayune. The scholarship program began in 1987. As of 2013, over $700,000 has been awarded to promising journalists to pay for tuition, so long as they work on The Daily Iowan staff. Each year, up to four high school seniors are selected for the four-year scholarship.
The University Reporter was the University of Iowa’s first publication. It began as a 16-page monthly paper in 1868. In 1878, The Vidette emerged as a rival paper. The two publications merged into The Vidette-Reporter, a triweekly paper in September 1881. The Vidette-Reporter eventually combined with The State University of Iowa Quill, another university publication, published weekly, that began in 1891, to form The Daily Iowan in 1901. The first issue of The Daily Iowan came out on September 21, 1901. It was first published in the offices of Miles and Moulton at 18 South Clinton Street in Iowa City and cost five cents.
In 1903, the paper moved to 21 Washington Street, where the University Press Company was located.
The Daily Iowan was owned by the student editors and was passed along each year to the next year’s student editor. This ended in 1916, when the student-faculty board formed The Daily Iowan Publishing Company. Along with the new ownership, The Daily Iowan moved to 28 South Clinton Street, and one year later moved again to offices on Iowa Avenue. In 1924, The Daily Iowan became a part of the Associated Press.
The Daily Iowan inhabited Close Hall, on Dubuque Street and Iowa Avenue, along with the University of Iowa School of Journalism beginning in 1924. There was a period in 1940 where the paper was moved temporarily to East Hall, which is known today as Seashore Hall, because the second floor of Close Hall caught fire and was deemed too hazardous. During that time, printing was done on the presses of the Iowa City Press-Citizen. After Close Hall was renovated, printing returned to Close Hall, while The Daily Iowan newsroom and the School of Journalism remained in East Hall in a newly added wing. Printing remained at Close Hall until 1966 when the building was destroyed by a fire.
On March 23, 1953, The Daily Iowan moved with the School of Journalism to the Communications Center on Madison Street.
The Daily Iowan added the online platform in 1995.
In 2005, The Daily Iowan and the School of Journalism moved into the Adler Journalism Building on Iowa Avenue, where it currently resides.
The Daily Iowan added a TV component in 2005. Nightly newscasts are aired via YouTube on The Daily Iowan’s website. Students have the opportunity to work with same equipment and technology used in the professional broadcast industry.