In 1884, teacher and lawyer Adolphus Longshore sensed the need to promote his hometown and created Alexander City’s first newspaper, The Beacon. After changing hands a number of times, the paper was purchased in 1892 by Capt. J.D. Dickson who changed the name to The Outlook. Later, the paper was sold to Mr. Fitz. O. Hooton, who was the sole owner, editor and publisher for more than 20 years.