Avirex is an American company that designs, manufactures and markets clothing lines. It was priginally founded by Jeff Clyman in 1975 as a brand for military apparel. Contrary to popular belief, Avirex wasn't a U.S. military supplier throughout World War II. In 1987 the company became an official Government contract supplier with A-2 jackets for the United States Air Force.
In 2006, Jeff Clyman sold the Avirex brand and trademark as well as the Avirex sportswear and Hip-hopfashion lines in Europe, Japan, and the United States. The new owner of the Avirex brand in the United States is Eckō Unltd.
Jeff Clyman founded a new company for military apparel called Cockpit USA.
In popular culture and media
- James LaBrie, lead singer for The prog-rock supergroup, Dream Theater, can be seen wearing an Avirex jacket and T-shirt on the group's double DVD release; Live at Luna Park
- Friend of SL2 and MC Jay J wore Avirex leather jackets throughout performances with the band in the early 90's. One notable appearance of such was on Top of the Pops in December 1991 MC'ing on SL2's #11 hit "DJ's Take Control".
- The East Staines Massiv in the 2002 movie Ali G Indahouse wear Avirex Jackets.
- Various members of the group Blazin' Squad wear Avirex clothing.
- Tim Robbins wears an Avirex jacket in the 1990 movie Cadillac Man
- In the song entitled "Some L.A. Niggaz," Rapper Xzibit uses Avirex in his lyric seemingly to show that he wears Avirex Clothing.
- In the popular British sit-com2point4 childrenGary Olsen played a character called Ben Porter who wore an Avirex leather jacket in most episodes with in the 8 series.
- In the classic Polish film Dogs (about polish secret police in transformation era) Bogusław Linda played a character called Franz Maurer who wore an Avirex g1.
- "Avirex" is the title of a Mobb Deep song from mid 90's, in which rapper Prodigy raps about this brand of leather jackets.
- Country Music Star Tim McGraw's character in the video for his song "Indian Outlaw" wears an Avirex Leather Jacket.
- The character MC Grindah in the BBC3 mockumentary People Just Do Nothing wears an Avirex. In 'The Godfather' (Series 2, Episode 1) Grindah wears an Avirex to his daughter Angel's christening. The brand is additionally mentioned in the lyrics of the Kurupt.fm song 'A Dis One'.