The company was founded by Anthony Rose, the ex-CTO of the BBC iPlayer, and Ernesto Schmitt, ex-Board Director of EMI Music. Film Director Simon Miller, Max Bleyleben, and Alex Nunes are additionally in the founding team.
The service was original launched in October 2011 by Zeebox Limited, a British company, originally called tBone.
In January 2012, BSkyB bought a stake in Zeebox and announced plans to integrate the software with its offering. In September 2012, Zeebox announced expansion into the US with a commercial partnership with Comcast Cable, NBCUniversal, Viacom and HBO. Comcast, NBCU and Viacom additionally took minority equity stakes for undisclosed sums. In November 2012, zeebox launched a joint venture in Australia with Network Ten and Foxtel.,
In October 2015, Beamly was acquired by COTY.
Zeebox has won the following awards:
- "App of the year" at the T3 Gadget Awards, 2012
- "The companion screen prize" at the Connected TV Awards, 2012
- "Overall Winner" at the Connected TV Awards, 2012
- Netexplo award winner 2012
- "Most Innovative Design Or User Interface" 1TVT Awards 2012
- "Best iPad app of 2012" Mashable, 2012
- Number 5 in the top 50 best iPhone apps, Time, 2013
- "Best Social Mobile or Apps startup" The Europas, 2013
- "Lovie Award Winner / Entertainment: Tablet" The Lovie Awards, 2013
In 2012, Zeebox was named amongst the Startups 100.