The paper primarily serves Blackwell, but also provides news and sports coverage of neighboring communities in Kay and Grant counties in north central Oklahoma and a small portion of Sumner County in south central Kansas. The small towns of Braman, Nardin, Lamont, Deer Creek, Newkirk, Medford, and South Haven (KS) are included in this coverage area.
The publication is the result of a 1939 merger of the Daily Tribune and the Blackwell Journal. The Daily Tribune was published first as the Daily World in 1915. The Blackwell Tribune began publication in 1933, and the two papers merged six years later. For 67 years, the paper was published at the newspaper building, located at 113 East Blackwell Avenue, before being shifted to an off-site printing format in 2007. The small editorial, advertising, and classified staff remain in the historic newspaper building.