E.W. Davenport and John C. McConnell set up the first newspaper in Breckenridge in spring 1878, called the Northwest Texian. Davenport bought out his partner in the early 1880s and changed the name to the Breckenridge Texian. Eventually B.B. Greenwood bought The Texian, but on Aug. 10, 1899, Davenport established another newspaper, the Breckenridge Democrat. When Davenport died in 1910, his son, Herbert Davenport, assumed the reins. A new owner bought the Democrat in 1920 and the name changed to The American.