Cathy Birkeland is a member of the Corporate Department and the firm's Diversity Leadership Committee, and served as the Deputy Office Managing Partner of the Chicago office from October 2009 to February 2015. Ms. Birkeland’s practice primarily focuses on:
- Capital markets
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate governance matters
- Public company representation
Ms. Birkeland has represented a number of issuers in public offerings and private placements and a number of investment banks in their capacity as underwriters. Ms. Birkeland has additionally represented multiple buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions. She also advises public companies on a day-to-day basis, including assisting them in the preparation and filing of ’34 Act reports and advising them on corporate governance and securities law issues. Likewise, Ms. Birkeland also represents a number of privately held companies in corporate matters.
Ms. Birkeland serves on the Heart Leadership Council of the Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and on the Chicago Board of Camp Kesem.
- "Regulatory: Navigating the 'Dual Track' IPO/M&A process" - Inside Counsel, April 10, 2013
Recent Speaking Engagements
- PLI 29th Midyear SEC Reporting & FASB Forum - "Non-Financial Disclosure: MD&A versus Earnings Releases - Best Practices," Chicago, Illinois, May 2014
- PLI Drafting Securities Filings 2013 - "Deconstructing the Registration Statement," Chicago, Illinois, November 2013
- From Red Herring to Green Shoe – The Path to a Successful IPO, “The IPO Process - State of the IPO Market, Public Company Readiness, Timing and Legal Considerations and the Exchange Listing Process” and "Forks in the Road - How to Successfully Run a 'Dual Track' M&A/IPO Process," Chicago, Illinois, January 29, 2013
- 2013 Proxy Season: Preparing for More Shareholder Engagement, October 30, 2012