Charles Sanders is a partner in the Boston office of Latham & Watkins. His practice focuses primarily on intellectual property matters with an emphasis on patent litigation.
Mr. Sanders represents clients as lead counsel in federal district court, the International Trade Commission (ITC), the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), and the Federal Circuit. He has obtained multi-million dollar settlements, ITC exclusion orders and summary judgment and trial victories.
He has handled a diverse range of technologies, including those involving aircraft, acoustic equipment, automotive components, bio-therapeutics, electromechanical devices, environmental remediation, fluid separation, LEDs, MRI, MOCVD, OLEDs, medical devices, network security, pharmaceuticals, rare earth magnets, semiconductors, smart phones, software, spectroscopy, storage media and wireless communication systems.
Mr. Sanders is admitted to practice before the Federal Court of Appeals for the Federal and Ninth Circuits, the Supreme Court and numerous Federal District Courts (including the Eastern District of Texas). He is a member of the Boston Patent Law Association, Boston Intellectual Property American Inn of Court and the ITC Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Sanders provides pro bono legal services to Project Citizenship. He serves as a member of the Board of Directors of Project Citizenship and of Boys Town New England.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Sanders was a partner at another leading law firm.
- Mr. Sanders was recently quoted in “Patent Troll Suites Face New Obstacles at ITC,” Law 360 (February 2014), and “Fed. Circ. Sets Hurdle For Using US Discovery Overseas,” Law 360 (July 2015)
- Mr. Sanders' publications include:
- “How Teva Will Affect Section 337 Investigations,” Law 360 August 2015)
- “Domestic Industry Continued to Evolve at the ITC in 2014,” Law 360 (January 2015)
- “Three Lessons Learned from Two Years at the US PTAB,” Intellectual Property magazine (November 2014)
- “Flash of inspiration,” Intellectual Property magazine (June 2014)
- “Wearable Patent Battle Ahead,” EE Times (February 2014)
- “Top 10 ITC Developments of 2013,” Law 360 (December 2013)
- “Are the EPROMs Factors Still Relevant?,” Intellectual Property Advisor (April 2013)
- “The ITC as an Indicator of China’s Potential for Innovation,” Intellectual Property Today (January 2012)
- “Options for Enforcement of ITC Exclusion Orders,” World Intellectual Property Report (August 2010)
- “Getting the Remedy You Want from the ITC,” Intellectual Property Litigation (Summer 2009, co-author)
- “Top 10 ITC Developments in 2008,” Law 360 (2008)
- “A Sea Change in the Federal Circuit’s Perspective,” Law 360 2007, co-author)
Mr. Sanders has provided market-leading perspective on ITC practice at the ACI’s Expert Forum on ITC Litigation and Enforcement, the ACI’s Managing Complex ITC Litigation conference, the Annual Joint Patent Practice Continuing Legal Education program and for Intellectual Property Lawcast.