Crasto Douro Branco 2012

Quinta do Crasto has been making wine for almost 400 years. Today, the estate is owned by the Roquette family. In 1910, Quinta do Crasto was purchased by Constantino de Almeida, founder of the Constantino Port house. Following his death in 1923, his son, Fernando de Almeida, continued to run the Quinta. In 1981, Fernando de Almeida’s daughter, Leonor Roquette, and Jorge Roquette, her husband, assumed majority ownership and management of the estate. With the help of their sons, Miguel and Tomas, they began the process of replanting the vineyards and renovating the winery. The winemakers are Manuel Lobo and Tomas Roquette Quinta do Crasto is classified as an ’A’ grade vineyard property. Situated on the right bank of the Douro River, between Regua and Pinhao, the estate spans 371 acres, of which 173 acres are planted to vines. The vineyards, rising from the banks of the Douro River to an elevation of 2,000 feet, are planted on south facing terraces carved from schist based soils. The upper part of the property is planted to about 40 indigenous varieties including Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cao, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Francisca, Sousao, Rufete, Arinto, and Rabigato at various sites. Most of the older vines were planted in the early 1900’s and some of the vines as old as 110 years old. The newer plantings are 20 years old on average. In the lower part of Crasto are the Vinha Maria Teresa and Vinha da Ponte Vineyards, the source for their single vineyard flagship wines. The Quinta combines state-of-the-art vinification technology with traditional foot treading in granite tanks called lagares for the ports. Fruit for vintage ports is hand-picked. For the still wines, the fruit is hand-picked, destemmed, gently crushed and fermented in stainless steel vats. [+]