Dean G. Dunlavey
Dean Dunlavey is Chair of the Litigation & Trial Department in the Orange County office of Latham & Watkins. His practice focuses on patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition and other intellectual property litigation. Mr. Dunlavey has tried and won numerous cases in federal district courts and before the International Trade Commission. In numerous other cases he has obtained summary judgment in favor of his clients, or the other side has capitulated after suffering a major setback in court. He has obtained multiple judgments forcing unsuccessful plaintiffs in patent infringement cases to pay his clients’ attorney’s fees. To date, he has collected nearly US$11 million in such fees for his clients.
Mr. Dunlavey has litigated cases in diverse technical fields, including:
- Computer and networking software and systems
- Internet security and malware detection software
- Data protection and high availability systems
- Hard disk drives
- Product activation software
- Power converter circuits and methods
- Analog and digital electronic devices and circuits
- Integrated circuit and MEMS fabrication
- Biotechnology, medical devices, and diagnostic methods and equipment
- Wireless communications, telephony
- Advanced fuel injection systems; mechanical assemblies
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Dunlavey served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Central District of California (Los Angeles), where he successfully prosecuted numerous significant cases. For example, in United States v. Manning, et al., Mr. Dunlavey obtained the extraditions and subsequent convictions of political extremists responsible for a mail-bomb murder.