The Durango Herald is a daily newspaper in Durango, Colorado. The first edition of the Herald came out June 30, 1881. Two years later, the Herald merged with the Record, which had started publishing in 1880, seven months before the Herald. The modern Herald traces its roots to both papers but the current Herald nameplate cites 1881 as the paper's founding year. The paper combined in 1952 after Arthur and Morley Cowles Ballantine purchased the Herald-Democrat and the News. In 1960, the name was changed to the Durango Herald.