When Marcellus Washington Carrico produced the first edition of the El Paso Times in 1881, El Paso was a frontier town of adobe buildings and 800 residents. The weekly was a four-page, seven-column publication; subscriptions were $3 a year. In less than a year the newspaper became the town's first daily. The Times in 1991 added a weekly supplement, Vecinos, printed entirely in Spanish. In July 1997 the newspaper opened a new production and press facility.