Usually surnames were originated in the Basque Country as name of houses, being families known by the name of the house they inhabited once. Esquivel was originally spelled Ezkibel and evolved from the Basque words Ezki, which means lime tree, and Gibel, which means behind. Therefore, Esquivel means the house behind the lime trees.
- Adolfo Pérez Esquivel, Nobel Peace Prize recipient
- George Esquivel, shoe designer and craftsman
- Laura Natalia Esquivel, teen actress and singer
- Aniceto Esquivel Sáenz, former President of Costa Rica
- Ascensión Esquivel Ibarra, Nicaraguan-born former of Costa Rica
- Juan Bautista Esquivel, soccer player
- , Professor of Surgery, and Chief Division of Abdominal Transplantation, Stanford School of Medicine, Stanford, California.
- Carlos Esquivel, Mexican footballer
- Esquivel Brothers, participants in Wild West shows
- Juan García Esquivel, [Mexican band leader, pianist and composer
- Laura Esquivel, Mexican author
- Emilio Morote Esquivel, novelist
- Juan de Esquivel, explorer, first governor of Jamaica
- Juan Esquivel Barahona, composer
- Miguel de Álava y Esquivel, General and statesman