You can edit something on the page right now! Register today, it's fast and free!
Frankenmuth’s founding fathers brought the traditions of brewing to the Mid-Michigan forests in 1845. John Matthias Falliers founded Frankenmuth’s first brewery in 1857. Cousins William Knaust and Martin Heubisch opened the Cass River Brewery just north of the Fallier property in 1862, where the Frankenmuth Brewery continues to stand today. The Cass River Brewery was purchased by Johann Geyer in 1874, and renamed Geyer’s Brothers Brewing Co. For the next 112 years, the facility operated under many names including the Frankenmuth Brewing Co. Ferdinand “Fred” Schumacher from Duseldorf, Germany, purchased the brewery one year before a fire destroyed most of the structure in 1987. The microbrewery continued operation following ownership acquisition by Randall E. Heine in 1990. The nation’s second oldest microbrewery was at peak production in 1996, distributing more than 30,000 barrels of locally produced microbrews across 25 states, when a F3 tornado struck our facility, causing several million dollars of damage. A brew pub was opened in 2003 and closed three years later. Our Frankenmuth Brewing Company, housed in the historic four story, 28,000 square foot building is an exciting destination for food lovers and beer aficionados alike. [+]