The year after the city of Hollister was incorporated, the newspaper that was to become the Free Lance was founded October 18, 1873, under the name of the Hollister Enterprise. There were several other papers that came out of the area but the Enterprise was the only one to last until present. The paper was also called The Democrat when owned by W.J. and A.J. Jones. In 1884 the newspaper sold to Lester P. Baldwin and Robert Shaw, who renamed it The Evening Free Lance.