The Hi-Desert Star is the first newspaper published and distributed in Yucca Valley, Morongo Valley, and Pioneertown, located within the southern Mojave Desert in San Bernardino County, California.

History

The newspaper was first published in April 1957 with backing from the Yucca Valley Chamber of Commerce, and initially called The Desert Star. However, the name was changed four months later after it was discovered that there was already a Desert Star newspaper that had been published in nearby Needles, California for the previous 40 years. Ironically, the paper was later sold to the owners of the Desert Star.[2]

The paper started as a weekly, ending up published twice weekly, and is currently owned by Brehm Communications, along with 60 other publications in California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana.[4]