Welcome to Mali Mrak, a small hostel run by a couple of friends, Ivana, Filip and Igor. This year marks the 10th season since we’ve opened and it’s a pleasure to invite you to visit us! If you prefer a cozy, uncomplicated and personal setting, this will be a good spot for you. Please read a bit about the house and it’s specifics below, thank you :)
The hostel is warm, cozy (think organic), clean and well organised. It features many common spaces with a pleasant atmosphere, including two kitchens, of which one is outdoors in our nice summer garden (have a look at the pictures). The hostel is also a constantly changing ambience & art project, with rooms that have all been hand made, combining aestethics and practicality. Things at Mali Mrak are done in an efficient, honest and spontaneous way, where community, common sense, talks and exchanges of ideas are valued. As long as you respect the house and the people in and around it, you’ll have all our knowledge resources and experience at your disposal, for planning your route through the balkans or anything else we can help you with. The house is also good if you just want to have a quiet time on your own, bothered by no one, to do your own thing.
IMPORTANT NOTE at this point: Mali Mrak is NOT a party hostel !
Here's a list of things specific for the house:
• we don’t take money for laundry
• free coffee/tea
• you can hop with us around Zagreb when time and weather permit it
• Sexy, fast, fiber optics internet
• (free) yoga sessions in summer (igor)
• free bikes for responsible guests, Zagreb is excellent for bike tours and you’re welcome to join us, they’re free (we share what bikes we have, if a
bigger group comes together, we’ll look up one of the rentals in town, prices are usually between 10-13€).
• nice local wine available, not for sale, but rather for free ;)
• visit some jazz bars with Filip
• community dinners, after a market day (see below) - ask us on time, this takes time to organize
• people who are interested in local culture are most welcome to join us on a market day - it’s a lovely event and one of the genuine local things to experience
• if you're into hiking, let us know – the area around Zagreb is very nice, and we frequently go together.
• special note to rpg fans: Numenera & Planescape sessions available, ask at reception!
• We can give you invaluable insider advice on Zagreb and Croatia to plan your trips and avoid the traps and bad places, helping you along is part of what we love to do - just ask, don’t be shy!
And so on, we also suggest that you browse some of the numerous reviews on the web to get confirmation of what and how we do things here, the travelling community has its own perspective. What follows is information of a more practical nature. Thanks for reading!
LOCATION: READ THE DIRECTIONS ON HOSTELWORLD on how to find us, they’re easy and precise. We're located in an ordinary, safe and quiet neighborhood, 15 minutes away by tram from the city center, as well as 15 minutes walking from the nature park 'Grmošćica', located on the foothills of Medvednica, the local mountain. Good if you like hiking & nature.
For those who are traveling on a budget and have certain skills- if you can and feel like it, feel free to contribute /upgrade the house in a specific way - we love that (you’ll notice a ton of stuff people have done here) - create something and in return you can get a discount or a free stay. You certainly wouldn't be the first, and we are known to support travelers in many more ways than just giving convenient bed prices. Contact us via email for details on that.
The City Tax (7kn per person per night or cca. 1€) is not included in the room price you book online. We have to charge it in any case, and since many wonder what that is, here goes: it's not something any hostel makes up, it's just that - a city tax that goes to the state of Croatia, a way to make money. We must charge it, and keep it separately because of account keeping, so we rather choose not to incorporate it into the bed price (that means: raising that same price for said amount and proclaim 'no additional tax') and charge it separately and show it on your bill.
CARDS are accepted, but the 3% bank fee is paid by You, not the hostel!