The Idaho Press-Tribune is the second-oldest active newspaper in Idaho, first printing in December 1883. Often, the early paper was an instrument for political influences. One of the first owners and editors was Frank Steunenberg.

After his murder, the Steunenbergs sold it to Rees H. Davis, editor of the Idaho Woman. The publication is oft credited with playing a key role in the passage of women's right to vote. On April 12, 1928, the Caldwell Tribune and Caldwell News merged and became the Caldwell News-Tribune.

Out of many populist and socialist newspapers from Nampa, the Republican Nampa Leader-Herald emerged in 1904.

Another paper that was soon born was the Idaho Free Press in 1919. This paper was sympathetic the Nonpartisan League, organized by farmers seeking political relief. The Nonpartisans even organized the Idaho Progressive Party.

Bernard Mainwaring bought the Idaho Free Press and the Leader-Herald newspapers in about 1946 and merged them, leaving the Idaho Free Press as the only paper.

The Scripps League bought the Idaho Free Press in 1954 and the Caldwell News Tribune in 1956. The official ownership was handed to Pioneer Newspapers in 1975. The Idaho Free Press and the Caldwell News Tribune merged in 1980.