The fifth season of RuPaul's Drag Race began airing on January 28, 2013, with a 90-minute premiere episode. It had the most contestants since the creation of the show with fourteen. The winner of this season was Jinkx Monsoon.
As this season's winner, Jinkx Monsoon walked away with the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar" along with a lifetime supply of Colorevolution Cosmetics, a one-of-a-kind trip courtesy of AlandChuck.travel, a headlining spot on Logo's Drag Race Tour featuring Absolut Vodka and a cash prize of $100 000. Santino Rice and Michelle Visage were back as judges at the panel. The theme song playing during the runway every episode is "I Bring the Beat", while the song playing during the credits is "The Beginning", both songs are from RuPaul's album Glamazon.
The drag queens who competed to be "America's Next Drag Superstar" for season five of RuPaul's Drag Race are:
(Ages and names stated are at time of contest)
|Jinkx Monsoon||Jerick Hoffer||24||Seattle, WA||SAFE||SAFE||HIGH||HIGH||WIN||HIGH||HIGH||HIGH||WIN||HIGH||BTM2||Winner|
|Alaska||Justin Andrew Honard||27||Pittsburgh, PA||HIGH||SAFE||LOW||SAFE||HIGH||LOW||HIGH||WIN||HIGH||LOW||WIN||Runner-Up|
|Roxxxy Andrews||Michael Feliciano||28||Orlando, FL||WIN||SAFE||HIGH||LOW||HIGH||HIGH||BTM2||LOW||HIGH||WIN||HIGH||Runner-Up|
|Detox||Matthew Sanderson||27||Los Angeles, CA||SAFE||SAFE||WIN||SAFE||BTM2||SAFE||SAFE||HIGH||LOW||BTM2||ELIM||Guest|
|Coco Montrese||Martin Cooper||37||Las Vegas, NV||SAFE||SAFE||BTM2||SAFE||SAFE||BTM2||WIN||LOW||BTM2||ELIM||Guest|
|Alyssa Edwards||Justin Johnson||32||Mesquite, TX||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||WIN||LOW||LOW||BTM2||BTM2||ELIM||Guest|
|Ivy Winters||Dustin Winters||26||Greenville, MI||HIGH||HIGH||SAFE||HIGH||LOW||WIN||LOW||ELIM||Miss C|
|Jade Jolie||Josh Green||25||Gainesville, FL||LOW||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||ELIM||Guest|
|Lineysha Sparx||Andy Trinidad||24||San Juan, PR||HIGH||WIN||LOW||SAFE||ELIM||Guest|
|Honey Mahogany||Alpha Mulugeta||29||San Francisco, CA||SAFE||HIGH||SAFE||ELIM||Guest|
|Vivienne Pinay||Michael Donehoo||26||New York, NY||SAFE||HIGH||LOW||ELIM||Guest|
|Monica Beverly Hillz||Juan DeJesus Anaya||27||Owensboro, KY||SAFE||BTM2||ELIM||Guest|
|Serena ChaCha||Myron Morgan||21||Tallahassee, FL||BTM2||ELIM||Guest|
|Penny Tration||Tony Kody||39||Cincinnati, OH||ELIM||Guest|
- The contestant won RuPaul's Drag Race.
- The contestant was the runner-up of RuPaul's Drag Race.
- The contestant was voted Miss Congeniality by viewers.
- The contestant won a challenge.
- The contestant was one of the best but did not win the challenge.
- The contestant was one of the worst but was not in the bottom two.
- The contestant was in the bottom two.
- The contestant was eliminated.
- The contestant did not participate in this episode.
- The contestant returned as a guest for the finale episode.
- Episode 4 featured the first double elimination in show history.
- Episode 7 featured the shows second non-elimination.
- No elimination occurred in Episode 12 as the winner was crowned during Episode 14, the reunion episode.
- Alaska was the third contestant in the show's history to reach the finale without being in the bottom two.
- Episode 13 featured highlights and unseen footage from the previous 12 episodes.
- Jinkx Monsoon also holds the record for most consecutive weeks being in the top, at 8 weeks.
|1||Penny Tration||vs.||Serena ChaCha||"Party in the U.S.A."|
|2||Monica Beverly Hillz||vs.||Serena ChaCha||"Only Girl (In the World)"|
|3||Coco Montrese||vs.||Monica Beverly Hillz||"When I Grow Up"|
(The Pussycat Dolls)
|Monica Beverly Hillz|
|4||Honey Mahogany||vs.||Vivienne Pinay||"Oops!... I Did It Again"|
& Vivienne Pinay
|5||Detox||vs.||Lineysha Sparx||"Take Me Home"|
|6||Coco Montrese||vs.||Jade Jolie||"I'm So Excited"|
(The Pointer Sisters)
|7||Alyssa Edwards||vs.||Roxxxy Andrews||"Whip My Hair"|
|8||Alyssa Edwards||vs.||Ivy Winters||"Ain't Nothin' Goin' on But the Rent"|
|9||Alyssa Edwards||vs.||Coco Montrese||"Cold Hearted"|
|10||Coco Montrese||vs.||Detox||"(It Takes) Two to Make it Right"|
|11||Detox||vs.||Jinkx Monsoon||"Malambo No. 1"|
|12||All remaining contestants:|
Alaska, Jinkx Monsoon, Roxxxy Andrews
- The contestant was eliminated after their first time in the bottom two.
- The contestant was eliminated after their second time in the bottom two.
- The contestant was eliminated after their third time in the bottom two.
- The contestant was eliminated after their fourth time in the bottom two.
- Neither contestant was eliminated.
- Episode 4 resulted in a double elimination, as RuPaul felt neither contestant put enough energy into their performance.
- Episode 7 resulted in a non-elimination.
- Alaska is the third contestant in the show's history to reach the finale without being in the bottom two.
- Coco Montrese is the first contestant in the show's history to be eliminated after lip-syncing four times.
(In alphabetical order by stage name and/or last name)
- María Conchita Alonso (singer/songwriter and actress)
- Joan Van Ark (actress)
- Chaz Bono (writer and activist)
- Downtown Julie Brown (actress and MTV VJ)
- Julie Brown (actress-comedian)
- Coco (model)
- Camille Grammer (television personality)
- Marg Helgenberger (actress)
- Kristen Johnston (actress)
- Leslie Jordan (actor)
- Clinton Kelly (fashion stylist)
- George Kotsiopoulos (editor and fashion consultant)
- Juliette Lewis (actress and singer)
- Bob Mackie (fashion designer)
- Aubrey O’Day (singer)
- The Pointer Sisters (Anita & Ruth) (girl group)
- Paulina Porizkova (model and actress)
- Mike Ruiz (photographer)
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (actress and singer)
- Travis Wall (dancer)
Additional guest appearances this season include
- Gloria Allred (lawyer)
- Mathu Andersen (make-up artist)
- Candis Cayne (actress and performance artist)
- Nadya Ginsburg (Madonna impersonator, comedian)
- Deven Green (comedian and musician)
- Wilmer Valderrama (actor)
- Bruce Vilanch (writer and actor)
Episode One: RuPaullywood or Bust
Airdate: January 28, 2013
For the first time ever fourteen new queens begin their quests for the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar." During the underwater photoshoot, some rose to the occasion while others fell flat. Alaska gave up as she found it difficult to keep her composure while underwater. RuPaul announces that Detox is the winner of the mini-challenge and then reveals that the queens will be challenged to construct a 'Hollywood Glamor' outfit for the main stage presentation, made from materials salvaged from a dumpster in Beverly Hills. After revealing their looks on the runway; Detox, Coco Montrese, Alyssa Edwards, Honey Mahogony, Monica Beverly Hillz, Vivienne Pinay and Jinkx Monsoon were all called out as safe. RuPaul does stop them momentarily to request they impress her next week before they leave the stage, as being safe is not something to be proud of. Roxxxy Andrews, Ivy Winters, Alaska and Lineysha Sparx are praised for their looks, while Serena ChaCha and Penny Tration get critiqued on their outfits. Jade Jolie's look failed to show true Hollywood glamor as her aesthetic was over the top, but her personality shined through, and is safe. Roxxxy Andrews wins the challenge; gaining a custom made dress and immunity from elimination next week. Penny Tration and Serena ChaCha end up as the bottom two and lip synch for their lives to 'Party in the U.S.A.'. Penny is scrutinized by the other queens for not knowing the words to the song, while Serena turns out a party atmosphere, even dropping into the splits during her performance. RuPaul decides to give Serena a second chance, and Penny Tration sashays away.
Off stage, a new clique emerged. Roxxxy Andrews, Alaska and Detox bonded together and formed "Rolaskatox". "Rolaskatox" is known to enter the work room at the beginning of an episode shouting "Ro-Laska-Tox". A rivalry between two contestants also emerged between Alyssa Edwards and Coco Montrese. The two queens competed in the Miss Gay America competition back in 2010. The rivalry between both queens came from the fact that Alyssa was disqualified from a competition after being crowned, with Coco, the runner-up, taking her crown.
- Guest Judges: Camille Grammer and Mike Ruiz
- Mini-Challenge: Underwater photoshoot
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Detox
- Main Challenge: Going dumpster diving to make a dress that brings out Hollywood realness and glamor
- Challenge Winner: Roxxxy Andrews
- Main Challenge Prize: Custom gown by Marco Marco and immunity for next week's elimination
- Bottom Two: Penny Tration & Serena ChaCha
- Lip Synch Song: "Party in the U.S.A." by Miley Cyrus
- Eliminated: Penny Tration
- Farewell message: "You ARE ALL STARS smooches PT"
Episode Two: Lip Synch Extravaganza Eleganza
Airdate: February 4, 2013
The contestants must lip synch to the spoken word, as they recreate classic moments from Drag Race history in scene-stealing viral videos. The mini-challenge consisted of lip-synching one of three of RuPaul's songs; Tranny Chaser, LadyBoy or Peanut Butter, with only their mouth visible. The winners were Serena ChaCha, Detox and Ivy Winters. The three winners became team captains for the main challenge. The main challenge was to impersonate memorable scenes from RuPaul's Drag Race Untucked season 2, 3 and 4.
|2||Interior Illusions Lounge||Honey Mahogany|
|Mystique Summers Madison|
|Gold Bar||Lineysha Sparx|
|3||Interior Illusions Lounge||Alyssa Edwards|
|Shangela Laquifa Wadley|
|Gold Bar||Serena ChaCha|
|4||Interior Illusions Lounge||Alaska|
|Phi Phi O'Hara|
|Gold Bar||Monica Beverly Hillz|
Guest judges Natural Born Killers' Juliette Lewis and 3rd Rock from the Sun's Kristen Johnston joined the judging panel. Following the runway presentations for the week, as well as viewing each team's clip, Ru announces Team Ivy is the winning team, with Lineysha Sparx being declared the winner of the challenge. The remaining two teams were then critiqued. From Team Serena, Alyssa, Jinkx, and Jade all received praise for their performances, as well as their runway presentations. From Team Detox, Detox and Coco received praise from the judges, although Detox was criticized for appearing to have "been there, done that". Roxxxy, from Team Serena, and Alaska, from Team Detox, are positively noted for their performances, but are critiqued on their runway looks, which the judges actually questioned as their "best drag". The worst of the week were Serena and Monica, Serena for her painfully awkward performance as Raja, and Monica for her underwhelming performance of Jiggly Caliente. During her critiques, a tearful Monica revealed that she is in fact a transgender woman in the process of transitioning. After a fierce lip-sync, Ru decides to let Monica shantay, and Serena sashays away after her second time on the bottom, to the joy of the other contestnants.
- Guest Judges: Kristen Johnston and Juliette Lewis
- Mini-Challenge: Lip synch to one of RuPaul's songs (Tranny Chaser, Ladyboy, Peanut Butter) with only your mouth visible.
- Mini-Challenge Winners: Serena ChaCha, Detox, Ivy Winters
- Main Challenge: Lip synch and re-enact a famous scene from a past season of RuPaul's Drag Race Untucked
- Runway Theme: Best Drag
- Challenge Winner: Lineysha Sparx
- Main Challenge Prize: A custom latex garment from Syren Latex and immunity for next week's elimination
- Bottom Two: Monica Beverly Hillz & Serena ChaCha
- Lip Synch Song: "Only Girl (In the World)" by Rihanna
- Eliminated: Serena ChaCha
- Farewell Message: "God bless America, Viva Panama, Keep bearing light QUEENS xoxo Serena ChaCha"
Episode Three: Draggle Rock
Airdate: February 11, 2013
The queens connect with their inner child as they star in a fun-filled kids TV show. During the mini-challenge, each contestant paired-up with another contestant and had to take a blank mannequin doll and create a mini-pageant for "America's Junior Drag Superstar". Alaska and Lineysha Sparx paired up together and were the winner of the mini-challenge. For the main challenge, the queens had to create a kid TV-show. As winners of the mini-challenge, Alaska and Lineysha were team captains. Team Alaska was: Alaska, Detox, Vivienne Pinay, Roxxxy Andrews, Monica Beverly Hillz and Alyssa Edwards. Team Lineysha was: Lineysha Sparx, Jinkx Monsoon, Jade Jolie, Ivy Winters, Honey Mahogany and Coco Montrese.
|Segment/Responsibility||Team Alaska (Buffalo Bill's Barnyard Buddies)||Team Lineysha (The Magic Bush)|
|Host||Alaska (Buffalo Bill)||Jinkx (Princess Pinklips)|
|Word of the Day||Detox (Box)||Jade (Blow)|
|"How to" Segment||Roxxxy & Vivienne (Toss Salad)||Ivy & Lineysha (Make a Banana Split)|
|Social Lesson of the Day||Alyssa & Monica (Don't Be Throwing No Shade)||Coco & Honey (Always Tell the "T"(truth))|
For their main runway look, the contestants had to dress in pink. On the runway, Honey, Ivy, Alyssa and Jade are all called safe. Lineysha is also called safe, but is warned by RuPaul that she would be in the bottom if it wasn't for her immunity. The judges liked Roxxxy, Jinkx and Detox's performances in the challenges, with RuPaul naming Detox the winner. Alaska is criticized for dressing in male drag for the challenge, but her runway look is a hit, so she is safe. Vivienne also becomes the third out of five contestants in Drag race "herstory" to be read for "resting on pretty", but she is also safe, leaving Coco and Monica in the bottom two for their poor performances. Coco outshines Monica in the lip synch, and Monica sashays away.
- Guest Judges: Coco Austin and Paulina Porizkova
- Mini-Challenge: Create a mannequin doll in pairs for "America's Junior Drag Superstar" pageant
- Mini-Challenge Winners: Alaska and Lineysha Sparx
- Main Challenge: Split into two teams and star in children's TV Shows
- Runway Theme: Pretty in Pink
- Challenge Winner: Detox
- Main Challenge Prize: Wig wardrobe from New Attitude Wigs
- Bottom Two: Coco Montrese & Monica Beverly Hillz
- Lip Synch Song: "When I Grow Up" by The Pussycat Dolls
- Eliminated: Monica Beverly Hillz
- Farewell Message: "Love all of u guys, And never be a victim -♡- Monica Beverly Hillz"
Episode Four: Black Swan: Why It Gotta Be Black?
Airdate: February 18, 2013
For this episode's mini-challenge, the queens had to participate in a dance-off dancing to "Jealous of My Boogie" in a quick drag look wearing big afro hair. RuPaul chose Jinkx Monsoon and Coco Montrese as the winners of the mini-challenge and became team captains for the main challenge. This week, the queens are challenged to prove their elegance and dancing skills by starring in a ballet based on the life of RuPaul, and on the runway, are asked to present 'extravaganza' looks. Coco shocked everyone when she picked Alyssa as her first choice on her team. In her interview, she stated that she did this because of Alyssa's dancing abilities.
Team Jinkx Monsoon
|Jade Jolie||Young RuPaul|
|Lineysha Sparx||The Supremes Diana Ross|
|Ivy Winters||Lady Bunny|
|Jinkx Monsoon||21-Year Old RuPaul|
Team Coco Montrese
|Alyssa Edwards||Bad RuPaul|
|Coco Montrese||Good RuPaul|
|Honey Mahogany||90s Diana Ross|
|Roxxxy Andrews||Modern RuPaul|
|Vivienne Pinay||America's Next Drag Superstar|
On the runway, Detox, Coco, Lineysha, Jade and Alaska are all declared safe. In their critiques, although Jinkx and Ivy are praised, both Alyssa's dancing (She was trained in ballet in the past.) and her characterization of 'Bad RuPaul' secure her the win. Roxxxy is criticized for lacking energy, but RuPaul names Vivienne and Honey as the bottom two. After a fairly low-key lip synch, RuPaul surprises everyone by eliminating both queens, stating that neither brought the fire that proved they wanted to stay in the competition. RuPaul also added that he will not tolerate "half-stepping" and that he wants the queens to bring their best. This was the first in the history of RuPaul's Drag Race that two queens were eliminated on the same episode.
- Guest Judges: Chaz Bono and Travis Wall
- Mini-Challenge: Soul Train dance-off
- Mini-Challenge Winners: Jinkx Monsoon and Coco Montrese
- Main Challenge: Divide into two teams each tasked with performing a different act of a ballet about RuPaul's life
- Challenge Winner: Alyssa Edwards
- Main Challenge Prize: A custom feather headpiece from Mother Plucker and immunity for next week's elimination
- Bottom Two: Honey Mahogany & Vivienne Pinay
- Lip Synch Song: "Oops!... I Did It Again" by Britney Spears
- Eliminated: Honey Mahogany and Vivienne Pinay
- Farewell Message — Honey Mahogany: "Keep on loving each other, we will meet again, I can't wait. All my l♡ve, Honey Mahogany"
- Farewell Message — Vivienne Pinay: "I love all my girls! Here's to the revolution of the FISH! ♡ Always, Vivienne Pinay"
Episode Five: Snatch Game
Airdate: February 25, 2013
The queens compete in a star-studded TV game show that showcases their celebrity impersonations. With guest judges comedian Julie Brown and former MTV VJ, Downtown Julie Brown.
|Alyssa Edwards||Katy Perry|
|Coco Montrese||Janet Jackson|
|Ivy Winters||Marilyn Monroe|
|Jade Jolie||Taylor Swift|
|Jinkx Monsoon||Little Edie|
|Lineysha Sparx||Celia Cruz|
|Roxxxy Andrews||Tamar Braxton|
This week saw the return of the fan-favorite "Snatch Game" challenge, and on the runway, the queens wore their best 'fishy glamazon' looks. In the workroom, Jinkx's choice to do Little Edie is met with bewilderment from the other queens, while Ru is confused by Lineysha's initial choice to portray Michelle Obama. Realizing the choice could land her in the bottom, Lineysha made a last-minute change to Celia Cruz. On the main stage, Jade, Coco and Alyssa were all declared safe, although Alyssa was warned that this was only because of her immunity as her Katy Perry impersonation was poor. Within the top three, Alaska was praised for being hilarious despite her voice not being Lady Bunny and Roxxxy was praised for both her impersonation and runway look. However, Jinkx's portrayal of Little Edie was deemed the best and she was declared the winner, although was warned that she still needed to bring the glamor. Detox, Lineysha and Ivy were all criticized for their impersonations, but Ivy's stunning runway look kept her out of the bottom two. During the lip synch, although both queens put in a strong performance, Detox's unique style kept her in the competition, and Lineysha sashayed away.
- Guest Judges: Julie Brown and Downtown Julie Brown
- Mini-Challenge: Style a cuddler into a red carpet ready look for an Us Weekly fashion face-off
- Mini-Challenge Winners: Alyssa Edwards, Detox, Roxxxy Andrews
- Main Challenge: Celebrity impersonations in a Match Game-style setting
- Runway Theme: Deadliest Snatch Glamor
- Challenge Winner: Jinkx Monsoon
- Main Challenge Prize: Custom jewel package from Fierce Drag Jewels
- Bottom Two: Detox & Lineysha Sparx
- Lip Synch Song: "Take Me Home" by Cher
- Eliminated: Lineysha Sparx
- Farewell Message: "Latino shade. It was a pleasure to meet you girls, Thanks for your friendship. XOXO Kiss and hugs! Lineysha Sparx"
Episode Six: Can I Get An Amen?
Airdate: March 4, 2013
The queens test their vocal abilities as they sing in RuPaul's 1980s "We Are The World"-inspired charity single. With guest judges La Toya Jackson and Anita and Ruth from The Pointer Sisters.
|Alyssa Edwards||Verse One|
|Ivy Winters||Verse Two|
For this week's mini-challenge, the queens were given the task to apply make-up in the dark. RuPaul declared Detox the winner. For the main-challenge, the queens had record a "We Are the World"-inspired charity single. As the winner of the mini-challenge, Detox could pick the teams. Coco Montrese was paired up with Alyssa Edwards, much to Coco's frustration, and were assigned the first verse. Ivy Winters, Jinkx Monsoon and Jade Jolie were grouped together and were assigned the second verse. Detox picked Roxxxy Andrews and Alaska for her team and decided to do the bridge. For this week's mainstage look, RuPaul wanted the queens to have an outfit that showcased their best body part. On the runway, RuPaul asked Coco how it was to work with Alyssa and she answered that Detox was trying to be malicious by pairing her up with Alyssa. Then, Michelle Visage critiqued Alaska that she was holding back too much and RuPaul said they have a feeling that she is hiding behind a shticky character. Ivy Winters was the winner of this week's main-challenge and was praised for the harmony she added to the song. Roxxxy Andrews and Jinkx Monsoon were also among the queens who received good critiques. Detox was safe, but RuPaul told her she wanted to see more next time. Jade Jolie and Coco Montrese landed in the bottom two; Jade for letting the other queens outshine her, and Coco for being too much in her head during the challenge. Ultimately, Coco could stay and Jade sashayed away.
- Guest Judges: La Toya Jackson and The Pointer Sisters (Anita and Ruth)
- Mini-Challenge: Apply drag makeup in the dark
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Detox
- Main Challenge: Record a "We Are the World"-inspired anthem entitled "Can I Get An Amen?"
- Runway Theme: Presenting Their Favorite Body Part
- Challenge Winner: Ivy Winters
- Main Challenge Prize: A Flight 001 luggage package
- Bottom Two: Coco Montrese & Jade Jolie
- Lip Synch Song: "I'm So Excited" by The Pointer Sisters
- Eliminated: Jade Jolie
- Farewell Message: "Cheers to my fish, fabulous and fierce sisters. I ♡ you all, Jade J."
Episode Seven: RuPaul Roast
Airdate: March 11, 2013
The queens' comedy skills are put on the spot as they must roast RuPaul and the celebrity judges in front of a live audience. With guest judges, The Help's Leslie Jordan, and Absolut Image Czar Jeffrey Moran. After last week's critiques during the elimination, Alaska decided to set herself apart from "Rolaskatox" so she could stand out for what she is. To mark that, she entered the work room shouting "Alaska", to differ from the better known "Ro-Laska-Tox". For this week's mini-challenge, the queens were asked to "read" the other contestants. RuPaul declared Alaska the winner of the mini-challenge. For the main challenge, the contestants had to roast RuPaul, as well as the judges and the other queens, in front of a live audience. As winner of the mini-challenge, Alaska decided the order in which the queens would perform: Alaska, Roxxxy Andrews, Coco Montrese, Jinkx Monsoon, Ivy Winters, Alyssa Edwards and Detox. Nadya Ginsburg, Deven Green, and Bruce Vilanch coached the queens and guided them for their live performance. During the judges critiques, Alaska was praised for her comedy and her look. Michelle Visage admitted to Jinkx Monsoon that she loved her look on the runway, and Leslie Jordan said she can have a career in comedy in or out of drag. Coco Montrese was praised by the judges for her whole performance and her look. Detox was criticized for using the word "fuck" too often but was praised for having a sparkle in her eyes during her performance. Alyssa Edwards was criticized for grabbing the microphone too much and for her prom-looking dress. Ivy Winters was criticized for relying on her cue cards too much, and Roxxxy Andrews for not delivering her jokes fast enough and not being funny enough. After deliberating, the judges declared Coco Montrese the winner of the main challenge. Roxxxy Andrews and Alyssa Edwards landed in the bottom two. After a stellar performance by both queens, Roxxxy Andrews broke into tears before RuPaul could reveal her decision, saying that being in the bottom two made some bad childhood memories resurface, and that she always felt not good enough. After an emotional moment, RuPaul decided to give both queens another chance, and they were both safe. This is the fourth time that no elimination has occurred in the series history; the other three occurrences were during season 3 (Carmen Carrera & Yara Sofia) due to the theme of liberty in the episode and season 4 (Sharon Needles & Phi Phi O'Hara) due to Willam being disqualified and All-Stars season (Raven and Jujubee).
Bonus Note: In the LOGO TV app special "21 1/2 Moments That Made Us Gag!" RuPaul revealed that this episode's lip sync was his favorite of all seasons. The RuPaul Roast was also ranked as the most gag-worthy moment of the series to date.
- Guest Judges: Leslie Jordan and Jeffrey Moran
- Mini-Challenge: "Reading is Fundamental"
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Alaska
- Main Challenge: Roast RuPaul, as well as the judges and fellow queens, in front of a live audience
- Challenge Winner: Coco Montrese
- Main Challenge Prize: A custom gown from Sequin Queen
- Bottom Two: Alyssa Edwards & Roxxxy Andrews
- Lip Synch Song: "Whip My Hair" by Willow Smith
- Eliminated: None
- Farewell Message: N/A
Episode Eight: Scent of a Drag Queen
Airdate: March 18, 2013
The queens create, market and film a commercial for their own signature fragrance. With guest judges Aubrey O'Day, and Knots Landing's Joan Van Ark.
|Alaska||Red for Filth|
|Alyssa Edwards||Alyssa's Secret|
|Coco Montrese||Ru Animale by Coco|
|Ivy Winters||Dress Code|
|Roxxxy Andrews||Thick and Juicy|
This week's mini-challenge had the queens play Drag Race's version of the memory game, Whatcha Packin', where the queens had to pair two models among a group of 22 with the same underwear in the shortest amount of time. After all the queens completed the challenge, Ivy Winters was declared winner and won a phone-call home. Then, RuPaul announced that the main-challenge of this week would be to create, market and film a commercial for a signature fragrance. During the main-stage presentation, the queens presented their commercial and wore the looks for their perfume launch party. During the critiques, Jinkx Monsoon was once again praised by Michelle Visage for her look on the runway and guest judge Joan Van Ark thought her commercial was the best. Detox was criticized for her look as it looked undone but was praised for her good commercial. Coco Montrese was criticized for her commercial due to the abundance of animal print in it but her runway look was praised, although she over-accessorized. Out of all the queens, Alaska received praise both for her funny commercial and her runway look matching her brand, which led to Ru declaring her the winner of this challenge. On the other hand, Ivy Winters was criticized for not selling her brand well enough in the commercial and her ice-skater look on the runway. Roxxxy Andrews was also criticized by Santino Rice for her look on the runway but her commercial was deemed better. Alyssa Edwards was also criticized for her commercial and confusing branding. In the end, Ivy Winters and Alyssa Edwards landed in the bottom two. After their lip-synch performance, RuPaul told Alyssa to stay and asked Ivy to sashay away.
- Guest Judges: Aubrey O'Day and Joan Van Ark
- Mini-Challenge: Whatcha Packin' - Match male models wearing the same pairs of Andrew Christian underwear
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Ivy Winters
- Main Challenge: Create, market, and film a commercial for a signature fragrance
- Challenge Winner: Alaska
- Main Challenge Prize: A selection of handmade corsets from Corset Connection
- Bottom Two: Alyssa Edwards & Ivy Winters
- Lip Synch Song: "Ain't Nothin' Goin' on But the Rent" by Gwen Guthrie
- Eliminated: Ivy Winters
- Farewell Message: "Love you girls so much!! You always have a friend in me! XOXO Ivy"
Episode Nine: Drama Queens
Airdate: April 1, 2013
The competition gets spicy as the queens star with Wilmer Valderrama in a sexy Latin telenovela acting challenge, with guest judges María Conchita Alonso and The Sopranos' Jamie-Lynn Sigler. During the mini-challenge of this week, the queens had to cry on cue as RuPaul asked the contestants to create a fake sob story and cry. The majority of the queens approached this challenge with humor, but Detox confessed that she did not feel like doing this challenge humorously and it brought back memories of his boyfriend's passing two years prior. After the mini-challenge was over, RuPaul declared Detox and Alyssa Edwards winners. For this week's main challenge, the queens had to star in a Latin telenovela with co-star Wilmer Valderrama. As winners of the mini-challenge, Alyssa Edwards and Detox picked the teams. "Rolaskatox" was reunited while Alyssa Edwards and Coco Montrese were once again teamed together, which created some frustration among both queens, knowing their past.
Ella No Es Dama
|Team Alyssa Edwards|
Casa de Locas
For the runway presentation, RuPaul asked the queens to be dressed in their best Latin glamor. During the critiques, Roxxxy Andrews's makeup and acting was well received among the judges and felt like she redeemed herself for her past two bad weeks. Detox was criticized for her campy hat that was not fitting with the rest of her look, and that she was not bringing enough villain into her character during the telenovela. Alaska was praised for her walk and acting, but was criticized for her cheap-looking dress. Then, Michelle Visage commented to Alyssa Edwards that she could not understand what she was saying during the telenovela. Santino claimed Alyssa's dress to be the worst dress that he has seen in the past five seasons of Drag Race. Alyssa replied that if she was asked to lip-synch for her life every week, she would do it and she would stay in the competition. Coco argued with Alyssa claiming that what Alyssa was saying is discrediting the other queen's talent. Then, Michelle Visage complimented Jinkx's spooky look. Jamie-Lynn Sigler praised her for her great acting and RuPaul said that she was shocked about her look which was great. Coco Montrese was criticized for her acting, claiming that she looked like she was intimidated by the co-star but her look was praised. Also, during Untucked, it was revealed that RuPaul asked the queens to say who was their biggest rival and who should go home next. All but Detox said that Jinkx Monsoon was one of their biggest rivals. Alyssa Edwards was unanimously voted as the girl who should go home next. In the end, Jinkx Monsoon was declared the winner, and Alyssa Edwards and Coco Montrese were asked to lip-synch for their lives. After a great performance by both queens, Coco Montrese could stay in the competition and Alyssa was asked to sashay away.
- Guest Judges: María Conchita Alonso and Jamie-Lynn Sigler
- Mini-Challenge: Creating fake 'sob stories' and producing real tears in front of RuPaul
- Mini-Challenge Winners: Detox and Alyssa Edwards
- Main Challenge: Star in a faux Latin telenovela alongside Wilmer Valderrama
- Runway Theme: Spanish Telenovela Realness
- Challenge Winner: Jinkx Monsoon
- Main Challenge Prize: A pair of fur coats from Fabulous-Furs
- Bottom Two: Alyssa Edwards & Coco Montrese
- Lip Synch Song: "Cold Hearted" by Paula Abdul
- Eliminated: Alyssa Edwards
- Farewell Message: "The sky is the limit when your ♡ 's in it. Don't dream it, be it. Always and forever, Alyssa"
Episode Ten: Super Troopers
Airdate: April 8, 2013
For the mini challenge, the remaining queens were exposed to drag boot camp by Storm (fitness trainer). Alaska won the challenge for outlasting the other queens, with her prize being to match the queens to a gay veteran for a drag makeover. Roxxxy was annoyed that Alaska picked Iszy, a short veteran for her, while Alaska gave Jinkx to the oldest veteran in order for her to perform badly due to her being Alaska's competition. With the other queens, Detox's partner Aaron is enthusiastic and flirty, while Coco was worried that she may not be able to paint her partner Steve well. Jinkx's partner Dave also revealed that he will have a hard time walking in heels, due to his medication because he has AIDS.
|Coco Montrese||Horchata Montrese|
|Jinkx Monsoon||Fortuna Monsoon|
|Roxxxy Andrews||Isabella Andrews|
On the main stage, the queens and veterans were challenged to perform a patriotic flag salute before walking the runway displaying their transformation. During the critiques, Roxxxy was praised for her veteran's look and their sister-like image, while Jinkx and her veteran's homage to Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli also received positive feedback. On the other hand, Detox and Beth Adone were criticized for their sloppy flag salute, Alaska was castigated for making Nebraska more good looking than her as well as padding her incorrectly, and Coco's veteran's makeup received very negative feedback. In the end, Roxxxy won the challenge while Coco and Detox lip synched for their lives. Detox was allowed to stay and Coco sashayed away.
- Guest Judges: Clinton Kelly and George Kotsiopoulos
- Mini-Challenge: Last as long as possible in drag booty camp with a fitness trainer
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Alaska
- Main Challenge: Military-to-drag makeover/color guard performance
- Challenge Winner: Roxxxy Andrews
- Main Challenge Prize: A shopping spree at American Apparel
- Bottom Two: Coco Montrese & Detox
- Lip Synch Song: "(It Takes) Two to Make It Right" by Seduction
- Eliminated: Coco Montrese
- Farewell Message: "I love you all, Give them hell girls. Love, Coco M"
Episode Eleven: Sugar Ball
Airdate: April 15, 2013
The race gets sticky and sweet, when the queens compete in a pageant of candy inspired couture. With guest judges CSI's Marg Helgenberger, and legendary designer Bob Mackie. For this week's mini-challenge, the queens had to make a puppet of their own peers and made a "bitch fest", of which Alaska was declared the winner. For the main challenge, the queens had to participate in the Sugar Ball and design three outfits in three different categories:
- Super Duper Sweet 16, to display teen looks,
- Sugar Mama - Executive Realness, to represent real-life strong business women,
- Candy Couture, which was to be made out of real candy.
As the winner of the mini-challenge, Alaska was given a 15 seconds head-start in picking the candies for her outfit as well as being tasked with choreographing a dance routine for all four queens as an opening number to a song called "Sugar Babies". During the critiques, Alaska was praised for her three looks, especially her Candy Couture which Bob Mackie loved, although she was criticized for her simple opening choreography. Jinkx Monsoon was criticized for her Sweet 16 look because it looked too old, or as Michelle Visage said, it looked like Sweet 47. Her other two looks also did not receive good reviews, although she was praised by Marg Helgenberger for her performance in the opening number. Roxxxy Andrews' three looks were well received, and the judges liked that she was the only one to have candy in all three looks. However, Michelle felt that her Sweet 16 was too promiscuous. Detox was criticized for her Candy Couture look as it demonstrated a questionable taste level, but her executive realness look was very well received. In the end, Roxxxy Andrews was safe and Alaska won the challenge. Alaska is the third contestant in Drag Race history to reach the finale without being in the bottom two; the other two being Nina Flowers of season 1 and Tyra Sanchez of season 2. Jinkx Monsoon and Detox ended up in the bottom two. After a well-performed lip-synch by both queens, RuPaul allowed Jinkx to stay and Detox sashayed away.
- Guest Judges: Marg Helgenberger and Bob Mackie
- Mini-Challenge: Make a caricature of their own peers with a puppet
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Alaska
- Main Challenge: Design three outfits for the Sugar Ball: Super Duper Sweet 16, Sugar Mama - Executive Realness, and Candy Couture
- Challenge Winner: Alaska
- Main Challenge Prize: A private portrait session with Austin Young
- Bottom Two: Detox & Jinkx Monsoon
- Lip Synch Song: "Malambo No. 1" by Yma Sumac
- Eliminated: Detox
- Farewell Message: "Condragulations grillz! Go F****** Kill Them! Rolaskatox 4EVAAAHH! ♡ Detox"
Episode Twelve: The Final Three, Hunty
Airdate: April 22, 2013
The top 3 queens go to court, as Judge Ru presents their final challenge - starring in the music video for RuPaul's hit "The Beginning". With special guest mega-attorney Gloria Allred. This week, Michelle Visage came to announce the week's main challenge to the queens. The main challenge consisted of two parts: star in RuPaul's music video "The Beginning" and shooting a dramatic courtroom scene. For the music video, the queens had to learn a choreography with a chiffon as well as to work their hair in the wind, with the help of guest star Candis Cayne. Then, for the courtroom scene, each queens had to portray three different roles: the defense attorney, the defendant and the prosecutor. Mathu Anderson was directing the queens during the scenes. As in each Drag Race series finale, RuPaul also sat down with each queens for a kiki about the competition. For the final runway presentation, the queens had to plead their case and defend their lives, while showing why they should be "America's Next Drag Superstar". Guest star Gloria Allred was there to help out the queens with their cases. During the final runway presentation, no guest judges were present; only Michelle Visage, Santino and RuPaul. For the critiques, each queens were praised for a part in this week's main challenge: Roxxxy Andrews for the music video, Jinkx Monsoon for the court-room scene and Alaska for defending her life. Then, each queen participated in the final lip-synch to "The Beginning". Like the fourth season, RuPaul announced that she had not made up her mind, and that she would need the help of the public to decide who "America's Next Drag Superstar" will be and is going to be announced during the reunion episode. This is the first time since the second season that a queen has not come back in the competition for a second chance at the crown. Also by this episode, Roxxxy Andrews had become the third contestant in drag race history (following season one's Nina Flowers and Rebecca Glasscock), to be critiqued on the runway every week leading up to the finale. She finished the season with a total of 12 weeks to be critiqued.
- Special Guests: Gloria Allred, Candis Cayne and Mathu Anderson
- Main Challenge: Star in RuPaul's music video "The Beginning" and shoot a courtroom scene
- Lip Synch Song: "The Beginning" by RuPaul
Episode Thirteen: Countdown to the Crown
Airdate: April 29, 2013
A look back on the highlights, low-lights, and previously unseen footage from the season as we race toward the climactic crowning of America's Next Drag Superstar. With guest appearances by Latrice Royale, Willam, and Sharon Needles.
Episode Fourteen: Reunited!
Airdate: May 6, 2013
Wigs fly as the queens discuss the drama of the season. Plus, both "America's Next Drag Superstar" and "Miss Congeniality" are crowned. The episode was filmed on May 1, 2013 in Los Angeles.
- Miss Congeniality: Ivy Winters
- Runners Up: Alaska & Roxxxy Andrews
- Winner of RuPaul's Drag Race Season Five: Jinkx Monsoon
The overnight ratings for the fifth-season premiere of Rupaul's Drag Race reinforced the show's position as LOGO's juggernaut. "Monday night’s 9PM season five premiere of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” worked the ratings runway, averaging a .8 rating in the P18-49 demo. This number represents a 33% increase over Logo’s previous top-rated season premiere (fourth season premiere of “RuPaul’s Drag Race”) and clocks in as the highest-rated season premiere in Logo history.
Additionally, the 90-minute premiere tallied 565,000 total viewers tuning in to meet the new cast of 14 drag queen hopefuls who will fight it out to be crowned “America’s Next Drag Superstar.” The fifth season premiere night of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” and companion series “Untucked: RuPaul’s Drag Race” delivered over 1.3 million viewers.
Furthermore, “Untucked: RuPaul’s Drag Race” was the most-watched premiere ever averaging 291,000 total viewers and a .5 rating P18-49. On social media platforms for premiere night, “RuPaul’s Drag Race” and “Untucked: RuPaul’s Drag Race” showed a 136% increase in social activity versus the fourth season premiere – this includes tweets, Facebook posts and Get Glue check-ins.