James Farrell is a litigation partner in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins and has broad experience in a wide variety of complex civil litigation, with particular emphasis on securities and professional liability matters.
During the last 20 years, Mr. Farrell has worked on many large securities class action lawsuits and accountants' liability cases throughout the US and internationally. He specializes in defending cases involving a range of complex accounting issues, such as revenue recognition, securitizations, off-balance sheet entities, reserves and various structured finance transactions. For example, Mr. Farrell defended Arthur Andersen in the multi-billion dollar claims asserted in the consolidated class actions regarding Enron. He has also handled all phases of securities litigation, including matters related to hostile takeovers, management buyouts, directors' and officers' liability, and class action securities disputes. He has defended regulatory matters involving the DOJ, SEC, PCAOB and other government agencies. He has served as lead trial counsel in civil and regulatory matters.
Mr. Farrell has a significant international practice. He has defended clients and conducted internal investigations around the globe, including in the UK, Switzerland, Ireland, Portugal, Mexico, Thailand, the Middle East and Hong Kong. He successfully defended an ICC arbitration involving claims over US$1 billion, and he is certified in the International Standards on Auditing (ISA).
Mr. Farrell's financial services litigation work has been recognized by The Legal 500 US. He has served as volunteer trial counsel for the Los Angeles City Attorneys' Office and as a member of the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD). He is currently on the board of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, the Advisory Board for the Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, and the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Articles
- Speaker, "Key Issues Facing Boards of Directors: New SEC Enforcement Initiatives and Corporate Governance Risks," Directors Roundtable, MCLE, July 1, 2014
- Speaker, “Equipping the Board of the Future,” NACD August 14, 2013
- Speaker, “Top 10 Fraud Issues Every Accountant Should Know” CalCPA, July 2013
- Speaker, Chinese Financial Executives Institute, CFO Forum, May 30, 2013
- “Current Issues Concerning Credit Rating Agencies,” co-authored with Chris Harris and Zachary Rowen, Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, 2014