John Chory is a corporate partner in the Boston and Waltham offices of Latham & Watkins and a global Co-chair of the Emerging Companies Practice. His practice focuses on the representation of technology and life sciences companies from startup through IPO.
Mr. Chory advises both private and public companies in the following areas:
- Early-stage company formation and strategy
- Initial- through late-stage venture capital financings
- Public offerings of securities
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Technology licensing
- Securities law
Mr. Chory has been recognized as:
- A Massachusetts leader in the Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment field in the 2005 through 2015 editions of Chambers USA, where clients describe him as a "superb all-around counselor who acts as a strategic advisor" and "exceedingly well-regarded." His peers describe him as a "market leader."
- A Massachusetts leader in the Technology field in the 2014 and 2015 editions of Chambers USA. The guide further stated that "clients appreciate his commercial savvy, noting that 'his advice finds the right balance between weighing up the precautions and staying within the proper constraints of the law.’" He is also declared to be "a consummate strategizer with a network in Boston to die for.”
- A Massachusetts leader in the Capital Markets field in the 2015 edition of Chambers USA. He is praised for his ability to "understand complexities and help simplify them and be creative in the process beyond legal matters."
- A "Leading Lawyer" for Venture Capital and Emerging Companies by The Legal 500 2015 edition.
- A partner who “understands the needs of the client, and is a strategic thinker and very competent" in the 2013 edition of The Legal 500.
- The 2014-2015 Boston Venture Capital Law "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers. Mr. Chory is also consistently recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate law and venture capital by Best Lawyers.
- A "New England Super Lawyer" (formerly "Massachusetts Super Lawyer") in securities and venture finance by Boston Magazine since 2004
- A "2002 High Tech All Star" by Mass High Tech.
- One of Boston's "Best Lawyers" for startup companies by Boston Magazine (2002).