Kari Chandler advises clients on transactional diligence and compliance and enforcement matters involving the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and US export controls laws and regulations. With combined private practice and in-house legal experience, Ms. Chandler brings a unique understanding of the legal and business challenges clients face, enabling her to provide practical legal advice to clients worldwide.
Ms. Chandler regularly represents leading private equity firms, investment banks and companies of all sizes in conducting diligence and managing compliance issues arising in merger, acquisition and capital markets transactions. Ms. Chandler assists clients in conducting risk assessments to identify vulnerabilities in their operations and in designing and implementing effective compliance programs tailored to a client’s organization. Ms. Chandler counsels clients on risks associated with international business transactions, including:
- Joint venture and third-party intermediary relationships
- Dealings with governments, state-owned or controlled entities and public officials
- Facilitating payments
- Gifts, travel and entertainment practices
- Books and records issues
Ms. Chandler has experience in managing and conducting internal investigations for possible violations of US export controls laws and regulations, the FCPA and US economic sanctions regulations, and in counseling companies in responding to possible misconduct. In addition, Ms. Chandler advises public international organizations on global initiatives to combat corruption. She also has experience collaborating with forensic auditors and executing government-imposed compliance monitor decrees.
As the former Director of Anti-corruption Law for Accenture LLP, Ms. Chandler has first-hand experience in managing a large public multinational company’s anti-corruption compliance program. Ms. Chandler represented Accenture publicly as the company’s anti-corruption compliance ambassador, including serving as the Accenture representative on the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) Taskforce responsible for developing the “Reporting Guidance on the 10th Principle Against Corruption,” which assists companies in reporting consistently on their anti-corruption efforts in annual UNGC Communication on Progress (COP) reports. Ms. Chandler drafted Accenture’s 2009 UNGC COP, which has been recognized by UNGC officials as a model for COP reporting.
In addition to her experience at Latham, Ms. Chandler was an associate at an international trade-focused Washington, D.C. law firm. Ms. Chandler also has six years of public service experience as a US Army Materiel Command Outstanding Scholar Intern and US Army Contract Specialist, where she was responsible for cradle-to-grave government contracting activities in support of the US Global Humanitarian Demining Program.
Ms. Chandler is a member of the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics.
- “Lexpert’s 4th Annual Anti-Bribery and Corruption Compliance Conference,” December 10, 2015, Speaker at the session on “The US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: What Canadian Companies Need to Know”
- “FCPA, AML & OFAC Risks for Private Equity & Hedge Funds,” March 31, 2015, Speaker at the session on “Minimizing FCPA Risks for Your Portfolio Companies: Short Term Strategies and How to Ensure that Anti-Corruption Compliance Becomes a Priority”
- “The SEC Institute’s 30th Annual SEC Reporting & FASB Forum,” December 17, 2014, Speaker at the session on “Risk Management and Compliance Focus Area – FCPA”
- “Anti-Bribery and Corruption Compliance: Coping with the Onslaught,” December 8 and December 11, 2014, Speaker at the session on “The US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: What Canadian Companies Need to Know”
- “The 14th Meeting of the UNGC Working Group against Corruption,” June 23-24, 2014, Speaker at the sessions on “Doing Business in Emerging Markets” and “The UNGC’s Call the Action”
- “The 13th Meeting of the UNGC Working Group against Corruption,” December 9, 2013, Speaker at the session on “The Value of Whistleblower Programs”
- “The 5th Conference of States Parties of the UN Convention Against Corruption,” November 25, 2013, Speaker at the session on the UNGC Call-to-Action initiative regarding private industry appeals to governments to promote the fight against corruption
- “Latin America Summit on Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Regulatory Compliance,” March 11, 2013, Speaker at the session on “Strengthening Your Compliance Protocols for High Risk Markets: Minimizing Exposure to FCPA Violations”
- “14th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute,” March 11, 2010, Speaker at the session on “The FCPA and Global Anti-Corruption: What Companies Must Do to Comply”
- “UK Prosecutor Secures First Deferred Prosecution Agreement for Bribery,” Client Alert (December 11, 2015) (co-author)
- “DOJ Guidance Underscores Importance of Anti-corruption Due Diligence in International M&A Transactions,” Client Alert (January 12, 2015) (co-author)
- “Navigating FCPA Risks in Global Private Equity Ventures,” Webcast (October 7, 2014)
- “US Sanctions Against Iran Continuing To Expand and Impact Non-US Companies,” Client Alert (January 28, 2013) (co-author)
- “The EU Imposes Further Sanctions on Iran,” Client Alert (October 29, 2012) (co-author)
- “Communication on Progress Report,” Accenture LLP – Presented to the United Nation’s Global Compact (2010) (author)
- “Reporting Guidance on the 10th Principle Against Corruption,” United Nations Global Compact Task Force (2009) (contributor)
- “Heightened Enforcement, New Rules in International Investment and Trade Controls,” Client Alert (February 13, 2008) (co-author)
- “Practitioner's Comment - Commerce Department Publishes Proposed China “Catch-All” And Antiboycott Penalty Guidelines,” The Government Contractor, Vol. 48 No. 25 (July 12, 2006) (co-author)