Karl A. Karg
Karl Karg's environmental practice includes enforcement defense, litigation, crisis response and management, permitting and compliance counseling, and transactional counseling. He is particularly experienced in the defense of US Department of Justice/EPA and state enforcement actions and citizen suits under the Clean Air Act, CERCLA, the Clean Water Act, RCRA and a variety of other environmental statutes.
Mr. Karg’s current representations include:
- The defense of EPA and state Clean Air Act enforcement actions and citizen suits against electric utilities
- Negotiations to modify past Consent Decrees under the Clean Air Act for new owners and/or repowered or reconfigured facilities
- Complex contaminated site and sediment cleanups at NPL and non-NPL sites under CERCLA and other environmental authorities
- Oil spill enforcement matters and associated cleanup negotiations with EPA, state and local authorities and related third-party litigation
- Advising on the environmental issues and risks associated with mergers and acquisitions, financing and public offerings
Prior to joining Latham & Watkins in 2001, Mr. Karg was an Associate Regional Counsel for the US EPA, Region V (Chicago), where he enforced virtually every major federal environmental law against facilities in the Midwest. While at the EPA, Mr. Karg worked extensively on Clean Air Act matters, including enforcement against the chemical, oil and gas, automotive and manufacturing sectors.
Mr. Karg is a frequent speaker and writer on environmental topics. He is a member of the Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section of the ABA and the Illinois State Bar Association.