Katherine E. McGrath
Katherine McGrath focuses her practice on white collar litigation, primarily in the healthcare industry and has particular expertise in:
- Federal False Claims Act
- Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute, focused particularly on:
- Development of pharmaceutical and medical device promotion practices
- Recruitment arrangements, professional services arrangements, non-monetary compensation and physician-hospital joint venture rules
- Healthcare compliance program development
- Cost reporting and reimbursement issues
Ms. McGrath handles a variety of complex litigation matters, including securities fraud class actions, shareholder derivative lawsuits and government investigations. She primarily represents hospitals, clinical labs and drug and device companies in a variety of healthcare fraud and abuse matters. She has advised clients on a wide range of compliance issues, from the proper structuring of physician agreements to the development of pharmaceutical promotion practices. She has particular experience conducting internal investigations and pre-litigation factual development for hospital systems and other clients. She has significant experience defending False Claims Act qui tam cases and has expertise in the federal Anti-Kickback Statute and the Stark Law.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. McGrath served as an extern to the Honorable Justice James Lambden of the California First District Court of Appeal, as an extern at the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda’s Office of the Prosecutor and as a paralegal for the United States Department of Justice.