The Sun-News started in 1881 as the Rio Grande Republican and went through several mergers to become the Las Cruces Daily News in 1934. Another daily, the Las Cruces Sun, started publication in 1937 and bought the Daily News in 1939 to form the Las Cruces Sun-News. The paper changed ownership several times, bought by Opal Lee Priestley and Orville Priestley, in 1946; then sold to Worrell Newspapers Inc., in 1970, and acquired by Garden State, a subsidiary of MediaNews Group in 1989, it was most recently bought by Gannett. The paper became part of the Texas-New Mexico Newspapers Partnership, a joint venture formed in 2003 between MediaNews Group and Gannett, with MediaNews Group the managing partner.  In 2015, Gannett acquired full ownership of the Texas-New Mexico Newspapers Partnership.