Laurence J. Stein
Larry Stein is a tax partner in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins and served as the global Chair of the Tax Department from 2000-2011. His major practice area is transactional tax, where he has extensive experience representing a variety of private equity firms, private and public companies and financial institutions with regard to the structuring and tax aspects of:
- Mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, restructurings and tax-free reorganizations
- Spin-off transactions (including obtaining numerous private letter rulings from the National Office of the Internal Revenue Service)
- Offerings of debt, equity and other financial instruments
Mr. Stein is cited as a leading California Tax attorney by The Legal 500 US, ranked Band 1 by Chambers USA, recognized as a leading tax lawyer in the World Tax guide and named a world leading corporate tax lawyer by Who’s Who Legal. He has also lectured on various tax aspects of mergers, acquisitions and dispositions before numerous professional tax organizations, including:
- The Tax Executives Institute (including the Houston, Boston, New York, Santa Clara, San Francisco and Los Angeles chapters)
- The University of Chicago Tax Conference
- The University of Southern California Tax Institute
- The New York University Institute on Federal Taxation
Mr. Stein also serves on the advisory board of the New York University Institute on Federal Taxation.
Following law school, Mr. Stein clerked for the Hon. Walter J. Cummings, Chief Judge of the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.