Lawrence Gotts is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins and member of the firm's global Intellectual Property Practice. Mr. Gotts has handled more than 130 patent and other intellectual property cases, including approximately 17 patent trials and eight Federal Circuit appellate arguments, representing both patentees and defendants. He has litigated and tried cases in federal district courts throughout the United States, as well as before the International Trade Commission and the Court of Federal Claims. Mr. Gotts is also admitted to practice before the US Supreme Court and the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. Gotts is consistently recognized as a leading intellectual property lawyer and has received the following accolades:
- Chambers Global, 2016 — “Lawrence Gotts is renowned for IP and particularly patent litigation, and also advises clients on commercial IP matters. He is praised by sources for being ‘very attuned to the client’s concerns’ and for his ‘extremely good judgement.’”
- Chambers USA, 2004–2015 — Ranked among the group of the top 10 IP litigators within the top 2 bands in Washington, D.C. by Chambers and Partners. Chambers notes that “[a] number of sources attest to his gift for strategic thinking,” and that clients say “he’s very attuned to a client's concerns. He’s always thinking several steps ahead for both litigation and counseling.” In addition, Mr. Gotts is “respected throughout the country for his prolific and highly successful work as a patent litigator.” — Chambers USA
- Top 10 Most Admired Intellectual Property Attorneys, Law360, 2010 — Named by IPLaw360 as one of the top “10 Most Admired IP attorneys” in the U.S., noting “ability to exploit the most complex aspects of a patent dispute while presenting a straightforward and undeniable argument at trial” and describing Mr. Gotts as “among the crème de la crème of IP litigators.” — Law360
- Aerospace & Defense MVP, Law360, 2014 — “Over the course of a decade, Gotts helped the company jump through hoops that go along with suing the government, and ultimately negotiated a record-breaking settlement,” which “is believed to the largest settlement against the government in a patent case over the past decade.” — Law360
- Legal Lion, Law360, 2014 — “Latham & Watkins extracted a US$75 million settlement from the U.S. government on behalf of Honeywell International Inc. in a dispute over whether Uncle Sam had violated its patents for technology used in night vision goggles.” — Law360
- The Legal 500 US, 2008-2015 — Lawrence Gotts is recommended “in Washington, D.C. for his litigation strategy skills” as a member of Latham’s Patent Litigation team who “provides ‘best of the best service’ on complex patent litigation matters.” — The Legal 500 US
- Top Washington IP Lawyer, Washington Business Journal, 2004 — Named the number one IP lawyer in Washington, D.C. in 2004
- Who’s Who Legal: Patents, 2014-2015 — Listed as a leading patents lawyer in the Who's Who Legal: Patents 2014 and 2015 guide
- Super Lawyers, 2007-2015 — Recognized 9 years in a row.