Michael G. Egge
Michael Egge is the Managing Partner of Latham & Watkins’ Washington, D.C. Office. He is a leading global competition lawyer, representing clients on a broad range of antitrust and competition matters in the United States, Europe, Latin America and elsewhere. Mr. Egge has 25 years’ experience advising corporations on antitrust matters in Washington and in every major antitrust jurisdiction in the world, including nearly three years’ experience resident in Latham’s Brussels office and four years’ experience in-house advising The Coca-Cola Company on antitrust matters worldwide. He has served as Vice Chair of Latham’s global Litigation and Trial Department and global chair of the firm’s global Antitrust and Competition Practice.
He focuses largely on defending corporations in antitrust-sensitive mergers, cartel matters, and other commercial conduct investigations and related litigation. Major recent merger matters include Siemens/Dresser-Rand, Omnicom/Publicis, Time Warner Cable/Charter, ArthroCare/Smith & Nephew, Medicis/Valeant, and Live Nation/Ticketmaster.
Mr. Egge is widely recognized as a leader in handling multi-jurisdictional competition law matters. He has defended major corporate clients in investigation and antitrust merger matters on the ground in more than two dozen jurisdictions outside of the US, including the European Union, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Chile, Spain, Costa Rica, Lithuania, Turkey, Venezuela and Korea.
Mr. Egge is active within the leadership of the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association, having served in a broad range of leadership roles, including on its governing Council, chair of the Merger Process Working Group, and the Advisory Board on Section Reserves.
Mr. Egge participates in industry associations, lectures frequently and is the author of several articles on topics related to antitrust and competition. Recent thought leadership activities include:
- Contributing Editor, Latin Lawyer, 2008 – Present
- Moderator, “Competitor Collaborations, Minority Acquisitions and Associative Agreements,” Antitrust in the Americas, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, Rio de Janeiro, BR, June 2015
- Speaker, “Transatlantic Perspectives on Commitments, Consent Decrees, Settlements and Section V FTC Remedies,” 4th BSC-LCII Competition Day, Brussels, BE, June 2014
- Co-author, “Practical Guides to the US Merger Review Process,” Concurrences, No 1-2014
- Advisory Board Member, American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law, 2011-2014
- Moderator, “US Antitrust: Practical Guide for EU Companies,” Premier Cercle Competition Summit, Brussels, BE, December 2013
- Speaker, “Competition Law Challenges in the Pharmaceutical Sector,” Annual IBC Legal Conference, Brussels, BE, November 2013
- Moderator, “Coordinating Multijurisdictional Merger Filings,” PaRR Antitrust Forum 2013, London, UK, September 2013
- Co-chair, American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law Antitrust in the Americas Conference, June 2013
- Co-author, “Will Your Deal Close? Antitrust Risk in the M&A Recovery,” Global Business Magazine, March 2011
- Governing Council Member, American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law, 2008-2011
- Chair, Merger Process Working Group of the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section, 2009-2011
- Nominating Committee Member, American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law, 2010
- Co-chair, American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law Annual Spring Meeting, 2006-2008
- Editorial Board Member, Annual Review of Antitrust Law Development, 2004-2005
- Co-chair, American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law Masters Program, 2004