Montgomery Advertiser

Our history goes back as far as the presidency of Andrew Jackson. The newspaper began publication in 1829 and was called The Planter°s Gazette. It became the Montgomery Advertiser in 1833 and emerged as the leading newspaper of the new Confederate states by 1861.After the Civil War, Major William Wallace Screws, a Confederate veteran, became the editor and began to lead the publication toward editorial prominence in Alabama. [1]