There were a number of predecessor papers that merged to form the Express.
W. G. Cambridge published the Newport Republican in 1864. He sold the paper to D. K. Simonds and Royal Cummings in 1865. They renamed the paper the Newport Express. Simonds became the editor. In 1866, Simonds sold his share to D. M. Camp who became editor. Camp purchased Cummings share in 1869 and became sole owner.
A. A. Earle published the Orleans Independent Standard in Irasburg from 1856 to 1869. He moved the paper to Barton and sold it to the Newport Express to form the Express and Standard.
There were various changes of editors and ownerships but by 1883, Camp again became sole owner and editor.
The paper retained this name until 1936.
The paper was later acquired by Scripps League Newspapers, which was acquired by Pulitzer in 1996. Hollinger bought the paper from Pulitzer the next year and sold it in 1999 to current owner Horizon Publications.
The paper is published by Kenneth Wells, who faced accusations  by the editor he fired in 2013.