The Athens Banner-Herald is a 32,000 circulation newspaper in Athens, Georgia, owned by Morris Communications. The newspaper traces its history to the Southern Banner newspaper that first published on March 20, 1832. In 1921, the newspaper merged with the Athens Herald to become the Athens Banner-Herald. Earl Braswell served as the newspaper's publisher, a position he held until 1965. That same year, Billy and Charles Morris purchased the newspaper. On June 17, 1965, the weekly Athens Advertiser changed its name to the Athens Daily News and became a seven-day morning paper, competing with the afternoon Athens Banner-Herald. Glenn Vaughn wrote in Athens Daily News' first editorial page: "Our goal is to produce a daily newspaper that will be equal to this magnificent community." Lewis Grizzard served as one of the newspaper's first sports writers.