OwnCloud (stylized ownCloud) is a suite of client-server software for creating file hosting services and using them. OwnCloud is functionally very similar to the widely used Dropbox, with the primary functional difference being that OwnCloud is free and open-source, and thereby allowing anyone to install and operate it without charge on a private server. It also supports extensions that allow it to work like Google Drive, with online document editing, calendar and contact synchronization, and more. Its openness eschews enforced quotas on storage space or the number of connected clients, instead having hard limits (like on storage space or number of users) defined only by the physical capabilities of the server.
OwnCloud has been integrated with the GNOME desktop. Additional projects that use or link to OwnCloud include a Raspberry Pi project to create a cloud storage system using the Raspberry Pi's small, low-energy form-factor.
In order for desktop machines to synchronize files with their OwnCloud server, desktop clients are available for PCs running Windows, OS X, FreeBSD or Linux. Mobile clients exist for iOS and Android devices. Files and other data (such as calendars, contacts or bookmarks) can also be accessed, managed, and uploaded using a web browser without any additional software. Any updates to the file system are pushed to all computers and mobile devices connected to a user's account.
- File storage in conventional directory structures or via WebDAV
- Encryption of user files, both in transmission and at rest
- Synchronization of clients running Windows (Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8), OS X (10.6 or later), or Linux
- Calendar (also as CalDAV)
- Task scheduler
- Address book (also as CardDAV)
- Music streaming (through Ampache)
- User and group administration (via OpenID or LDAP)
- Sharing of content with defined read/write permissions between groups, users, or public URLs
- Online text editor with syntax highlighting and code folding
- URL shortening suite
- Photo gallery
- Video viewer
- PDF viewer (using PDF.js)
- Viewer for ODF files (.odt, .odp, .ods)
- Synchronization of Mozilla Firefox settings, bookmarks, and history with Mozilla Sync
- RSS/Atom feed reader
- Mountable external Dropbox, Google Drive, or Amazon S3 storage
- Customizable with one-click-install apps
- Logging of file-related actions, logs, who accessed what, when and from where (only available in the OwnCloud Business, Enterprise and Education editions)