Print, A Quarterly Journal of the Graphic Arts was a limited edition quarterly periodical begun in 1940 and continued under different names up to the present day as Print, a bimonthly American magazine about visual culture and design.
In its current format, Print documents and critiques commercial, social, and environmental design from every angle: the good (how New York’s public-school libraries are being reinvented through bold graphics), the bad (how Tylenol flubbed its disastrous ad campaign for suspicious hipsters), and the ugly (how Russia relies on Soviet symbolism to promote sausage and real estate).
Print is a general-interest magazine, written by cultural reporters and critics who look at design in its social, political, and historical contexts. From newspapers and book covers to Web-based motion graphics, from corporate branding to indie-rock posters, from exhibitions to cars to monuments, Print shows its audience of designers, art directors, illustrators, photographers, educators, students, and enthusiasts of popular culture why our world looks the way it looks, and why the way it looks matters. Print underwent a complete redesign in 2005.
Nature of the Journal Initially
The journal was founded by William Edwin Rudge to demonstrate “the far reaching importance of the graphic arts” including art prints, commercial printing, wallpaper, etc. Contents were eclectic covering typography, book making, book printing, fine prints as well as the trade journal aspects of printing candy bar wrappers.
Initially the publication included original prints such as the frontispiece for Vol 1, #1 (Jun 1940) a two color woodcut by Hans Alexander Mueller and Vol 1, #3 (December 1940) a black and white wood engraving by Paul Landacre.
By Volume 8 (1953) the focus of the periodical had shifted to a trade journal.
- Vol 1, #1 (Jun 1940) Print: A Quarterly Journal of the Graphic Arts
- Vol 3, #2 (Summer 1942) combined with The Printing Art. An Illustrated Monthly Magazine of the Art of Printing and of the Allied Arts but continued under Print: A Quarterly Journal of the Graphic Arts
- Vol 7, #1 (Aug 1951) Print: combining: Print, A Quarterly Journal Of Graphic Arts, Vol. VII, Number 1 and The Print Collector's Quarterly, Volume XXX, Number 4.
- Vol 7, #2 (Jan 1952) Print, The Magazine of the Graphic Arts - until
- Vol 9, #2 (Oct/Nov 1954) Print - until
- Vol 11, #4 (Jan/Feb 1958) Print, The Magazine of Visual Communication - until
- Vol 12, #1 (July/Aug 1958) Print, America's Graphic Design Magazine at least until May/June 2005 Vol 59, #3.