Radikal ("Radical") was a daily liberal Turkish language newspaper, published in Istanbul. It has been published after 1996 by Aydın Doğan's Doğan Media Group. Despite only having a circulation of around 25,000 (July 2013), it was considered one of the most influential Turkish newspapers.
Radikal didn't endorse a particular political alignment but it was generally considered by the public as a social liberal newspaper. It was praised for its culture, arts, and interview sections, as well as columnists such as M. Serdar Kuzuloğlu, Hakkı Devrim, Yıldırım Türker, Türker Alkan, Tarhan Erdem, Cengiz Çandar, and Altan Öymen. Hasan Celal Güzel, former minister of national education, Murat Yetkin, and Mustafa Akyol, son of Taha Akyol, additionally write for Radikal.
On 22 March 2016, it was announced that the newspaper was shutting down by the end of the month due to financial reasons.
Radikal was founded in 1996, and "within a decade ... had become one of the most influential newspapers in the country, especially renowned for its top-drawer columnists and its coverage of intellectual debates". Its circulation, however, remained relatively low.
In 2004 Radikal was awarded the Turk Democracy Associations "Democracy Media Award" (jointly with Zaman).
The Dogan Group's economics daily Referans was merged into Radikal in 2010, with Referanseditor-in-chiefEyüp Can fitting editor-in-chief of the combined paper, replacing İsmet Berkan. Later in 2010 the paper moved to a tabloid format and introduced new columnists Dilek Kurban of TESEV, Cüneyt Özdemir, and Sırrı Süreyya Önder.
The newspaper stopped printing on 21 June 2014 and was published only digitally, before it was shut abruptly shut down in March 2016. On 4 April 2016, its columnists published their farewell articles on its webpage, reflecting on Radikal's past 20 years.
Radikal has the following sections, among others:
- Türkiye - usually with domestic news
- Yaşam (Life) - usually with health and entertainment articles from Turkey and the world
- Politika - with political news, focusing on domestic
- Dış Haberler - with foreign news
- Yorum - opinion pieces, editorials
- Ekonomi - economic news
- Spor - sports news
- Kültür/Sanat - with cultural and art news
The paper additionally publishes four supplements:
- Kitap (Book) - weekly book reviews, out on Fridays
- Cumartesi (Saturday) - usually with weekend entertainment and news, out on Saturdays
- Radikal 2 - op-eds, mostly on social-democracy or current political issues, out on Sundays
- Genç (Young) - op-eds submitted by college students, out every additional Tuesday.
Radikal publishes an online edition with the printed articles, updated daily including "Sıcak Haber" (Hot News), a section of breaking news.
- İsmail Saymaz (investigative journalist)
- Ezgi Başaran (investigative reporter and website managing editor, awarded the Müşerref Hekimoğlu Award 2012)
- Ertuğrul Mavioğlu (news co-ordinator)
- Altan Öymen (columnist)
- Orhan Kemal Cengiz
- Cengiz Çandar (columnist)
- Cüneyt Özdemir (columnist)
- Yiğit Bulut (columnist, 2001-2007)
- Perihan Mağden (columnist, 2001-2008)
- Oral Çalışlar (columnist, 2008-2013)
- Sırrı Süreyya Önder (columnist, 2010-2011)