The rivers Beuvron and Dierge flow through the commune.
William the Conqueror built the Saint-James fortress in 1067.
|The arms of Saint-James are blazoned :|
Gules, a gate argent flanked by 2 towers the sinister one taller Or, all masoned sable, in chief 1 escallop and in base 3 escallops argent.
Twin towns – Sister cities
Saint-James is twinned with:
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
Places of interest
World War II
After the liberation of the area by Allied Forces in 1944, engineers of the Ninth Air Force IX Engineering Command began construction of a combat Advanced Landing Ground outside of the town. Declared operational on 14 August, the airfield was designated as "A-29", it was used by the 373d Fighter Group which flew P-47 Thunderbolts until early September when the unit moved into Central France. Afterward, the airfield was closed.