SaulPaul is an American artist and most widely known as a rapper from Houston, Texas. He has garnered much attention with his unique talent to "make songs up on the spot," aka freestyle. He isn't your ordinary rapper in that his message is quite different from what you would typically hear in rap music.
He is most recognised for his "recap raps" that were featured weekly on ESPN Radio.
South by Southwest additionally tapped SaulPaul for their annual South by Southwest conference and festivals and his participation as the recap rapper for the South by Southwest keynotes for 2010 to the present.
Haling from Houston, Texas, SaulPaul grew up without a mother and father. His mother died when he was 3 years old and he was raised by his grandmother in the ghetto of Houston, Texas. Then he moved from house to house living with different relatives.
Although he made it to college, by the second semester he was kicked out for bad grades. Shortly thereafter, he went to the streets. SaulPaul landed a ticket in gaol and was incarcerated in the Texas State Penitentiary. After serving two years, SaulPaul was readmitted to the University of Texas at Austin and went on to graduate with honors.
SaulPaul's career in music production began when he placed a flyer promoting his services in exchange for guitar or keyboard lessons. A storyteller at heart, SaulPaul shares his storey as a musician, filmmaker and author with the goal of changing people's lives positively.
He is a filmmaker and motivational speaker who has travelled across the United States sharing his storey of inspiration and the message of his autobiographical film, Tower to Tower. The film traces his "journey from prison, where he ended up after flunking out of college, and then back to UT, where he eventually graduated with a degree in Radio-Television- Film in 2002."
Since graduation in 2002, "he travelled to Texas schools to inspire kids with similar backgrounds to stay out of trouble and go to college."
Eight years later and he’s still going and growing, making a successful transition from a hip hop artist and producer to a multi-faceted musician and full service music publisher. His music has been featured in commercials, film trailers, movies as well as on numerous websites.
SaulPaul has gained notoriety in various avenues including the Austin South by Southwest Festival. He was featured as a rapper throughout the interactive session and recruited to "rap songs that recap keynotes."
In 2011 he moved to Atlanta and was featured in various media outlets. His stylistic blend of hip-hop, street cred and guitar strumming offer common ground between him and much of the youth, but prison and music are a just a handful of the experiences behind his casual demeanor. He has authored a book, starred in an independent film, and in the process carved a unique career path – somewhere between “executive director” and “street tuff.”
Now SaulPaul, is getting paid to do what he loves, after growing up in an environment where it is just about getting paid. He plays the acoustic guitar, while rapping and singing. He is known for his on-the-spot freestyles for an ESPN affiliate. And while dropping three albums, he has started and developed his own multimedia company, ReRoute Productions.
Albums and Singles
- "Dream In 3D" (2015) received Grammy nomination consideration
- "Texas Two Step" (2015)
- "Mama" (2014)
- "I Can Only Be Me" (2013)
- "Rise" (2013)
- “Do That Hula Hoop” (2010)
- "Tower to Tower" (2010)
- "Remember The Name" (2004)
- "Get Ya Mind Right" (2004)
- "Do That Hula Hoop ft.Rachael Lust" (2015)
- "Ima Tell The Truth" (2014)
- "RISE" (2013) screened at the first annual Austin Music Video Festival in 2015.
- "Shine Right Now" (2011)
Collaborations and Features
- "Johnson & Johnson Gateway to Health Initiative" (2015)
- "Honey Bunches of Oats: This Is For You" (2015)
- "Welcome to Austin, Texas" #IAMBLACKAUSTIN Campaign (2015)
- "Motivation" #Action2015 +SocialGood Campaign (2015)
- "What's the Cost" Touch of the King ft. Trampia, SaulPaul, and Adrien Austin of D'tour (2014)
- "Smilebooth Rap" (2013)
SXSW Keynote Recap Raps
- Princess Reema Bint Bandar Al-Saud, CEO of Alfa, Intl. (2015)
- Logan Green, CEO and co-founder of Lyft (2015)
- Dr. Astro Teller, GoogleX (2015)
- Chelsea Clinton, Vice Chair of the Clinton Foundation (2014)
- Adam Savage, Executive Producer and Co-Host of MythBusters (2014)
- Anne Wojcicki, CEO and co-founder of 23andMe (2014)
- Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, Astrophysicist and Author (2014)
- Austin Kloen, Author (2014)
- Elon Musk, SpaceX (2013)
- Tina Roth Eisenberg, Swiss Miss and Tattly (2013)
- Julie Uhrman of OUYA and Josh Topolsky of The Verge (2013)
- Matthew Inman, The Oatmeal (2013)
- David Grohl, Musician (2013)
Film: Star of the autobiographical film Tower to Tower "Tower to Tower paints a textured picture of the 'hood' in which Neal grew up that was rich with pathos and struggle. The 35-minute-long film isn't a typical documentary, but more of an MTV reality show."
Book: Author of Tower to Tower: Dream in 3-D SaulPaul was a featured speaker at the African American Book Festival in Austin, Texas throughout their "Black Men Writers Inspiring Change," themed conference. He held a workshop and shared how people can turn their passion into their profession.
Television: Star in #TourLife: Reality TV series that aired on AmericanED TV in 2014 documenting SaulPaul's summer tour throughout which he performed at the most notable music festivals of the season.
Conference: Founder and host of Music Career Expo, a day of music industry professionals talking to middle school students about the career opportunities available outside of being a musician.
Awards and Recognition
- Seedling Foundation, Fab5 Award (2015)
- Austin City Council, June 12 SaulPaul Day Proclamation (2014)
- Austin Convention and Visitors Bureau, Creative Ambassador (2014)
- Deli Magazine, Artist of the Month (2014)
- Austin Music Foundation, Artist of the Month (2013)
- University of Texas at Austin, Young Alumnus of the Year (2012)
|Texas on Tour at Union Square||San Francisco, CA|
|Ohio State Fair||Columbus, OH|
|Atlanta Hawks, Philips Arena||Atlanta, GA|
|San Diego County Fair||San Diego, CA|
|Core DJ Conference||Atlanta, GA|
|NFL Draft Sports Career Expo||Chicago, IL|
|Austin City Hall, SXSW Arts +SocialGood||Austin, TX|
|Hollywood and Highland Center||Los Angeles, CA|
|NFL Super Bowl XLIX Sports Career Expo||Phoenix, AZ|
|SXSW United Nations Foundation Panel - How Art can Motivate Social Change||Austin, TX|
|Moms +SocialGood||New York City, NY|
|NFL PREP Super Bowl XLVIII Sports Career Expo||New York City, NY|
|Multnomah County City Hall||Portland, OR|
|Music Career Expo||Austin, TX|
|Houston Fringe Festival||Houston, TX|
|Shop.org Annual Summit||Chicago, IL|
|Cutting Edge Music Festival||New Orleans, LA|
|Chicago Navy Pier - Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau's #ATXAirstream Tour||Chicago, IL|
|Arts Edge Summit at the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts||Washington D.C.|
|NFL PREP Super Bowl XLVII Sports Career Expo||New Orleans, LA|
|Rachel Ray Feedback Party at Stubb's||Austin, TX|
|Making Money AND a Difference with Mobile Game Apps||Austin, TX|