Stanly News & Press
The Second Century was published for the first time June 10, 1880. The connection between this paper and The Stanly Gleaner, published in Norwood, is not clear, but it was believed the Gleaner used equipment from The Second Century. Investors took over the Gleaner and changed the name to The Stanly Observer. John R. Elkins was the first publisher.