The Clay Times-Journal began in 1902 as the Lineville Headlight. The name was changed to the Lineville Tribune sometime in the mid- to late thirties. The Clay Times-Journal has been located in the same building since its beginning in 1902. Lester Proctor began working at the newspaper in 1946 after serving four years in the military in the South Pacific. He bought the paper in 1947, practically running it by himself. Lester purchased the Ashland Progress in 1955. In 1990, he combined the Lineville Tribune and the Ashland Progress to establish The Clay Times-Journal. After 47 years, Lester was still the editor and publisher when he passed away in 1992.