The De Queen Bee

The De Queen Bee newspaper was established on June 4, 1897, by Walter A. Boyd, a printer, and J. W. Bishop, a lawyer from Nashville. One version of events is that the two were sitting on the courthouse steps in Nashville, discussing the establishment of a new town on the railroad in Sevier County, which had been named De Queen. Sensing a business opportunity, the two decided to start a newspaper in the new town and call it, appropriately, De Queen Bee. [1]