The Times of Northwest Indiana is a daily newspaper headquartered in Munster, Indiana. It is the second-largest newspaper in Indiana, behind only The Indianapolis Star.

History

The paper was founded on June 18, 1906, as The Lake County Times. Its founder, Simon McHie, was a native of a small town along the Niagara River in Canada. In 1933, the name was changed to The Hammond Times, and it became an afternoon paper serving Hammond, Whiting, and East Chicago. In May 1962, the McHie family sold the publication to Robert S. Howard. The paper expanded to all of northwest Indiana in 1967 and dropped Hammond from its masthead to become simply The Times. Offices were moved to Munster in 1989, and the paper began morning delivery and began printing different editions based on distribution region. The Howard papers were bought in April 2002 by Lee Enterprises.[2]

Distribution

The Times prints different editions based on delivery region. The three major news regions are:

The Times also prints three different editions each day to provide complete coverage to its readers:

The Times’ main office is located in Munster. There are bureau offices in Crown Point, Valparaiso, Portage and Indianapolis.