Tom's Hardware is an online publication focused on technology that was founded in 1996 by Thomas Pabst. Tom's Hardware is owned by Purch Group.
Tom's Hardware provides articles, news, price comparisons, videos and reviews on computer hardware and high technology. The site features coverage on CPUs, motherboards, RAM, graphics and displays, storage, and computer peripherals. Tom's Hardware has a forum and featured blogs. A unique aspect of Tom's Hardware is the "Build Your Own" section where readers can learn how to build their own computers. It is published in several languages.
- April 1996 – Website founded in the United States by the German medical doctor Thomas Pabst.
- August 1998 – The company publishes a hardware book in cooperation with Macmillan Publishers.
- March 1999 – Establishes testing lab in Pleasanton, California, United States.
- October 1999 – Set up of Tom's Guides Publishing AG in Germany. Establishes testing lab in Munich.
- June 2003 – Italian website goes live.
- August 2006 – Tenth anniversary.
- April 2007 – TG Publishing, parent company of Tom's Hardware, is acquired by the French company Bestofmedia Group.
- May 2007 – Tom's Hardware and iRobot launch a contest for aspiring roboticists.
- September 2007 – Company rebrands TwitchGuru to Tom's Games and Gear Digest to Tom's Guide.
- February 2008 – Presence-PC become the French version of Tom's Hardware.
- November 2008 – Tom's Hardware launches first worldwide overclocking championship.
- August 2010 – AfterDawn launch Tom's Hardware in Finland.
- July 2013 - Bestofmedia Group, parent company of Tom's Hardware, is acquired by TechMediaNetwork, Inc.
- April 2014 - TechMediaNetwork, parent company of Tom's Hardware, rebrands itself to Purch